Film, Video New York City "ghetto" fish market
About this Item
- New York City "ghetto" fish market
- "A fine panoramic view of this busy market on a Friday morning. Immense throngs of people are seen passing along the stands and making their selections of fish. A great character study. 165 feet"--Edison films catalog.
- Smith, James Blair, camera.
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc.
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- United States : Thomas A. Edison, Inc. 1903.
- - Markets--New York (State)--New York
- - Selling--Seafood--New York (State)--New York
- - Purchasing--New York (State)--New York
- - City and town life--New York (State)--New York
- - Lower East Side (New York, N.Y.)
- Actualities (Motion pictures)
- Silent films
- Short films
- Nonfiction films
- - H32029 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: Thomas A. Edison; 20May1903; H32029.
- - Duration: 2:53 at 15 fps.
- - Camera, James Blair Smith.
- - Photographed May 1, 1903.
- - Paper print shelf number (LC 2099) was changed when the paper prints were re-housed.
- - Additional holdings for this title may be available. Contact reference librarian.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Sources used: Niver, K. Early motion pictures, p. 221; American Film Institute catalog, film beginnings, 1893-1910, p. 730; Edison films catalog, no. 185, October, 1903, p. 10.
- - Early motion pictures : the Paper Print Collection in the Library of Congress / by Kemp R. Niver. Library of Congress. 1985.
- - 35 mm dupe neg pic renumbered: FPE 5371 to FZA 2326.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (91 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 165 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (91 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 165 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos 1 roll of 1 (ca. 165 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos (copy 2) 1 roll of 1 (ca. 165 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- FLA 5113 (viewing print)
- FEB 9440 (viewing print)
- FRA 2873 (dupe neg pic)
- FZA 2326 (dupe neg pic)
- Box 0027C (paper pos)
- Box 5012B (paper pos, copy 2)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
- The Life of a City: Early Films of New York, 1898 to 1906 (54)
- America at Work, America at Leisure: Motion Pictures from 1894 to 1915 (158)
- Inventing Entertainment: The Early Motion Pictures and Sound Recordings of the Edison Companies (431)
- National Screening Room (571)
- Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division (1,646)
- Library of Congress Online Catalog (1,343,896)
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright or other restrictions in the vast majority of motion pictures in these collections. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse.
In rare cases, copyrighted motion pictures are made available by special permission to the Library and may be used only for educational purposes. For example, the Gershwin home movies fall within this category. Rights assessment is your responsibility. No registration information exists for some titles, and reproduction of some titles may be restricted by privacy rights, publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Additionally, some works may still be protected by copyright in the United States or some foreign countries. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. You should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist you in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items for their desired uses. You should also consult restrictions associated with donations to the Library.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Smith, James Blair, Camera, Inc Thomas A. Edison, and Paper Print Collection. New York City "ghetto" fish market. United States: Thomas A. Edison, In, 1903. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/00694374/.
APA citation style:
Smith, J. B., Thomas A. Edison, I. & Paper Print Collection. (1903) New York City "ghetto" fish market. United States: Thomas A. Edison, In. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/00694374/.
MLA citation style:
Smith, James Blair, Camera, Inc Thomas A. Edison, and Paper Print Collection. New York City "ghetto" fish market. United States: Thomas A. Edison, In, 1903. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/00694374/>.