Film, Video Beginning of a skyscraper Starting a skyscraper
About this Item
- Beginning of a skyscraper
- Other Title
- Starting a skyscraper
- The scene is an excavation site in New York City. A large group of workmen with picks and shovels are digging. Carts drawn by pairs of horses can be seen emerging from the smoke in the background.
- From a contemporary American Mutoscope and Biograph Company catalog: Starting a Skyscraper--New York--26 feet. Taken in the immense excavation for the foundation of the new Macy Building at the corner of Broadway and 34th Street, New York. An excellent study of modern American push and enterprise.
- Contributor Names
- Bonine, R. (Robert K.), camera.
- American Mutoscope and Biograph Company.
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
- Created / Published
- United States : American Mutoscope and Biograph Company, 1902.
- Subject Headings
- - Construction workers--New York (State)--New York
- - Excavation--New York (State)--New York
- - Skyscrapers--New York (State)--New York
- - Building--New York (State)--New York
- Actualities (Motion pictures)
- Short films
- Nonfiction films
- - H16723 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: American Mutoscope & Biograph Co.; 18Apr1902; H16723.
- - Duration: 0:25 at 15 fps.
- - Camera, Robert K. Bonine.
- - Photographed January 18, 1902. Location: New York, N.Y.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Received: 4/18/02; paper pos; copyright deposit; Paper Print Collection.
- - Received: 1989/90 from UCLA; arch neg; preservation; Paper Print Collection.
- - Received: 1991 from LC lab; ref prints and dupe neg; preservation; Paper Print Collection.
- 1 roll (35 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. paper pos.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- LC 384 (paper pos)
- FEB 9820 (ref print)
- FEB 9787 (ref print, copy 2)
- FPE 5563 (dupe neg)
- FPE 5607 (arch neg)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
ContributorsAmerican Mutoscope and Biograph Company
Bonine, R. (Robert K.)
Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
SubjectsActualities (Motion Pictures)
New York (State)
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division, Library of Congress
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright in the motion pictures in these collections. As is indicated in the cataloging, most of the titles were registered for copyright prior to 1916. (No registration information exists for some titles.) The Library notes that the reproduction of some titles may be restricted by privacy rights, publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Additionally, some works may still be protected by copyright in some foreign countries.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses. Users should also consult restrictions associated with donations to the Library.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.More information about American Memory and Copyright.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Bonine, R. , Camera, American Mutoscope And Biograph Company, and Paper Print Collection. Beginning of a Skyscraper. United States: American Mutoscope and Biograph Company, 1902. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/00694382/. (Accessed January 22, 2017.)
APA citation style:
Bonine, R., American Mutoscope And Biograph Company & Paper Print Collection. (1902) Beginning of a Skyscraper. United States: American Mutoscope and Biograph Company. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/00694382/.
MLA citation style:
Bonine, R. , Camera, American Mutoscope And Biograph Company, and Paper Print Collection. Beginning of a Skyscraper. United States: American Mutoscope and Biograph Company, 1902. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/00694382/>.