Film, Video Parade of horses on Speedway Speedway parade / Parade on the Speedway
digital viewing copy
About this Item
- Parade of horses on Speedway
- Speedway parade
- Parade on the Speedway
- The film is of the third annual parade of the Road Drivers Association of New York. A procession of fine horses and fashionable carriages move along the Harlem River Speedway, in the Highbridge section of northern Manhattan. The view is from the Manhattan side of the river looking north. On the right is the Harlem River and on the opposite bank, the Bronx. Prominent in the background is the High Bridge at 175th Street. Beyond the High Bridge is the Washington Bridge at 181st Street. The "Speedway" was opened in 1898 exclusively for the running of horses and light carriages and was a popular destination for racing.
- Bonine, R. (Robert K.), camera.
- American Mutoscope and Biograph Company.
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- United States : American Mutoscope and Biograph Company, 1902.
- - Horse processions--New York (State)--New York
- - Horse-drawn vehicles--New York (State)--New York
- - Harlem River Driveway (New York, N.Y.)
- - Washington Bridge (New York, N.Y.)
- - High Bridge (New York, N.Y.)
- - Harlem River (N.Y.)
- Filmed parades
- Actualities (Motion pictures)
- Silent films
- Short films
- Nonfiction films
- - H33282 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: American Mutoscope & Biograph Co.; 8July1903; H33282.
- - Camera, Robert K. Bonine.
- - Duration: 0:52 at 15 fps.
- - Photographed May 10, 1902. Location: Harlem River Speedway, New York, N.Y.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Biograph production no. 2140.
- - Paper print shelf number (LC 0663) was changed when the paper prints were re-housed.
- - Additional holdings for this title may be available. Contact reference librarian.
- - Sources used: Niver, K. Early motion pictures, p. 244-245; AFI catalog, film beginnings, 1893-1910, p. 1006; Biograph production logs; American Mutoscope & Biograph picture catalogue, November, 1902, p. 96 viewed online via ProQuest History Vault, September 13, 2019; Biograph photo catalog, v. 5 (no. 2140) viewed online via the New Jersey Digital Highway, September 13, 2019; New York times, May 11, 1902, p. 19, "Big day for Speedway", viewed online September 13, 2019 via ProQuest Historical Newspapers
- - Early motion pictures : the Paper Print Collection in the Library of Congress / by Kemp R. Niver. Library of Congress. 1985.
- - paper pos Received: 1903-07-08; copyright deposit; Paper Print Collection.
- - Paper print roll lacking suffix.
- - 35 mm dupe neg pic renumbered: FPE 5540 to FZA 3063.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (27 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 50 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (27 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 50 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- master pos pic 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 30 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- paper pos 1 roll of 1 (ca. 50 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos (copy 2) 1 roll of 1 (ca. 50 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- FLA 3677 (viewing print)
- FEB 9840 (viewing print)
- FRA 0927(dupe neg pic)
- FZA 3063 (dupe neg pic)
- FPE 5628 (dupe neg pic, copy 2)
- FRB 1575 (master pos pic)
- Box 0298 (paper pos)
- Box 5515 (paper pos, copy 2)
- Niver (Kemp) Collection (Library of Congress)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
- American Mutoscope and Biograph Company
- Bonine, R. (Robert K.)
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright or other restrictions in the vast majority of motion pictures in these collections. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse.
In rare cases, copyrighted motion pictures are made available by special permission to the Library and may be used only for educational purposes. For example, the Gershwin home movies fall within this category. Rights assessment is your responsibility. No registration information exists for some titles, and reproduction of some titles may be restricted by privacy rights, publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Additionally, some works may still be protected by copyright in the United States or some foreign countries. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. You should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist you in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items for their desired uses. You should also consult restrictions associated with donations to the Library.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Bonine, R. , Camera, American Mutoscope And Biograph Company, and Paper Print Collection. Parade of horses on Speedway. United States: American Mutoscope and Biograph Company, 1902. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/00694402/.
APA citation style:
Bonine, R., American Mutoscope And Biograph Company & Paper Print Collection. (1902) Parade of horses on Speedway. United States: American Mutoscope and Biograph Company. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/00694402/.
MLA citation style:
Bonine, R. , Camera, American Mutoscope And Biograph Company, and Paper Print Collection. Parade of horses on Speedway. United States: American Mutoscope and Biograph Company, 1902. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/00694402/>.