Film, Video Automobile parade Parade of automobiles
About this Item
- Automobile parade
- Parade of automobiles
- The first annual automobile parade, held on November 4, 1899 by the Automobile Club of America, in downtown Manhattan. At least ten different makes and models are seen, including electric and steam powered machines. In the background is Madison Square Garden. As the cars pass, turning towards the right side of the screen, cyclists and pedestrians can also be seen, including a man on a motorized tricycle. About one minute into the film, a carriage pulled by a white horse is driven past the camera, and a horse-drawn hansom cab is seen waiting for the parade to pass.
- Paley, William Daly, 1857-1924, production, camera.
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc.
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- United States : Thomas A. Edison, Inc., 1900.
- - Electric automobiles--New York (State)--New York
- - Automobiles, Steam
- - Madison Square Garden (New York, N.Y.)
- - Automobile Club of America
- Filmed parades
- Actualities (Motion pictures)
- Silent films
- Short films
- Nonfiction films
- - D3293 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: Thomas A. Edison; 6Feb1900; D3293.
- - Camera, William Paley.
- - Duration: 1:52 at 15 fps.
- - Photographed November 4, 1899. Location: Madison Square, New York, N.Y.
- - In 1896, Henry Ford, Charles Brady King, Alexander Winton and Ransom Eli Olds had each introduced their gasoline cars. In 1900, the first National Auto Show was held at Madison Square Garden. In 1901, new oil fields in Texas made gasoline affordable and mass production techniques were introduced into car manufacturing.
- - Paper print shelf number (LC 1470) was changed when the paper prints were re-housed.
- - Paper print shelf number, LC 128, originally on this record, was incorrect. It had been assigned to the film, His name was Mud, also in the Paper Print Collection.
- - Additional holdings for this title may be available. Contact reference librarian.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Sources used: Niver, K. Early motion pictures, p. 18; Musser, C. Edison motion pictures, 1890-1900, p. 563-564; New York times, November 4, 1899, p. 12, viewed online via ProQuest Historical Newspapers, November 2, 2015; Edison films catalog no. 94 (March, 1900), p. 38.
- - Early motion pictures : the Paper Print Collection in the Library of Congress / by Kemp R. Niver. Library of Congress. 1985.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (51 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 100 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (51 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 100 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos 1 roll (ca. 100 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos (copy 2) 1 roll of 1 (ca. 100 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- FLA 4484 (viewing print)
- FEB 9317 (viewing print)
- FRA 0139 (dupe neg pic)
- FPE 5064 (dupe neg pic)
- Box 0015C (paper pos)
- Box 5027E (paper pos, copy 2)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
- The Life of a City: Early Films of New York, 1898 to 1906 (54)
- Inventing Entertainment: The Early Motion Pictures and Sound Recordings of the Edison Companies (431)
- National Screening Room (572)
- Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division (1,504)
- Library of Congress Online Catalog (1,359,487)
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright or other restrictions in the vast majority of motion pictures in these collections. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse.
In rare cases, copyrighted motion pictures are made available by special permission to the Library and may be used only for educational purposes. For example, the Gershwin home movies fall within this category. Rights assessment is your responsibility. No registration information exists for some titles, and reproduction of some titles may be restricted by privacy rights, publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Additionally, some works may still be protected by copyright in the United States or some foreign countries. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. You should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist you in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items for their desired uses. You should also consult restrictions associated with donations to the Library.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, Inc, and Paper Print Collection. Automobile Parade. produceds by Paley, William Daly, Uction, Camera United States: Thomas A. Edison, Inc, 1900. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/00694403/.
APA citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, I. & Paper Print Collection. (1900) Automobile Parade. Paley, W. D., prod United States: Thomas A. Edison, Inc. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/00694403/.
MLA citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, Inc, and Paper Print Collection. Automobile Parade. prod by Paley, William Daly, Uction, Camera United States: Thomas A. Edison, Inc, 1900. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/00694403/>.