Film, Video Fireboat "New Yorker" in action Fireboat "New Yorker" in action--excerpts
About this Item
- Fireboat "New Yorker" in action
- Fireboat "New Yorker" in action--excerpts
- A demonstration by the famous fireboat "New Yorker." The picture shows the fireboat with all its nozzles spurting water as it goes back and forth in front of the camera. Put in service on February 1, 1891 as Engine Company 57, the "New Yorker" was stationed at the Battery near Castle Garden, where her crew lived aboard. She was 125 feet long, 25 feet abeam, with a tonnage of 243. The 800 horsepower triple expansion engine turned a single screw. With a total capacity of 13,000 gallons per minute from its Clapp & Jones and La France fire pumps, the "New Yorker" was the most powerful fireboat in the world. When Admiral Dewey came to New York with the flagship "Olympia" after the battle of Manilla Bay, the "New Yorker" led the water parade of hundreds of craft. Built at a cost of $98,250, the "New Yorker" remained in service until 1931.
- FIREBOAT "NEW YORKER" IN ACTION. A magnificent picture of this boat making a run and starting the water from at least a dozen nozzles at one time. In the middle of the picture the boat is seen throwing at least twenty streams, so enveloping itself in mist that it is almost entirely obscured. Length 225 feet"--Edison films catalog.
- Smith, James Blair, camera.
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc.
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- United States : Thomas A. Edison, Inc., 1903.
- - New Yorker (Fireboat)
- - Fireboats--New York (State)--New York
- - New York Harbor (N.Y. and N.J.)
- Actualities (Motion pictures)
- Short films
- Silent films
- Nonfiction films
- - H32035 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: Thomas A. Edison; 20May1903; H32035.
- - Camera, James Blair Smith.
- - Duration: 1:59 at 15 fps.
- - Paper print shelf number (LC 2024) was changed when the paper prints were re-housed.
- - Additional holdings for this title may be available. Contact reference librarian.
- - Photographed May 10, 1903. Location: New York Harbor.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Sources used: Niver, K. Early motion pictures, p. 106; Edison films catalog, no. 185, October supplement, 1903, p. 9.
- - Early motion pictures : the Paper Print Collection in the Library of Congress / by Kemp R. Niver. Library of Congress. 1985.
- - 35 mm dupe neg pic renumbered: FPE 5303 to FZA 2344.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (111 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 250 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (111 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 250 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos 1 roll of 1 (ca. 250 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos (copy 2) 1 roll of 1 (ca. 250 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- FLA 5038 (viewing print)
- FEB 9420 (viewing print)
- FRA 1999 (dupe neg pic)
- FZA 2344 (dupe neg pic)
- Box 0049A (paper pos)
- Box 5801C (paper pos, copy 2)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
- The Life of a City: Early Films of New York, 1898 to 1906 (54)
- Inventing Entertainment: The Early Motion Pictures and Sound Recordings of the Edison Companies (431)
- National Screening Room (572)
- Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division (1,492)
- Library of Congress Online Catalog (1,395,888)
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright or other restrictions in the vast majority of motion pictures in these collections. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse.
In rare cases, copyrighted motion pictures are made available by special permission to the Library and may be used only for educational purposes. For example, the Gershwin home movies fall within this category. Rights assessment is your responsibility. No registration information exists for some titles, and reproduction of some titles may be restricted by privacy rights, publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Additionally, some works may still be protected by copyright in the United States or some foreign countries. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. You should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist you in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items for their desired uses. You should also consult restrictions associated with donations to the Library.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Smith, James Blair, Camera, Inc Thomas A. Edison, and Paper Print Collection. Fireboat "New Yorker" in action. United States: Thomas A. Edison, Inc, 1903. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/00694405/.
APA citation style:
Smith, J. B., Thomas A. Edison, I. & Paper Print Collection. (1903) Fireboat "New Yorker" in action. United States: Thomas A. Edison, Inc. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/00694405/.
MLA citation style:
Smith, James Blair, Camera, Inc Thomas A. Edison, and Paper Print Collection. Fireboat "New Yorker" in action. United States: Thomas A. Edison, Inc, 1903. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/00694405/>.