Film, Video Pilot boats in New York harbor
About this Item
- Pilot boats in New York harbor
- A New York harbor pilot boat passes close enough for members of the crew to be seen [Frame: 0471]. Following the sailing vessel is a steamship [Frame: 0780].
- "A close view of an eighty footer, schooner-rigged, trim as a private yacht, skimming over the waters of the harbor near Robin's Reef [i.e., Robbins Reef], which picturesque little lighthouse is seen in the near background. A steamer decked with bunting also passes by at close range. 50 feet"--Edison films catalog.
- Contributor Names
- White, James, production.
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc.
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
- Created / Published
- United States : Thomas A. Edison, Inc., 1899.
- Subject Headings
- - Pilot boats
- - Schooners
- - Steamboats
- - Lighthouses--New Jersey
- - New York Harbor (N.Y. and N.J.)
- Actualities (Motion pictures)
- Silent films
- Short films
- Nonfiction films
- - 27966 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: Thomas A. Edison; 22Apr1899; 27966.
- - Duration: 0:48 at 15 fps.
- - Paper print shelf number (LC 0002) was changed when the paper prints were re-housed.
- - Additional holdings for this title may be available. Contact reference librarian.
- - Filmed April 17, 1899 in New York Harbor.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Sources used: Niver, K. Early motion pictures, p. 250; Edison motion pictures 1890-1900, p. 499; Edison films catalog, no. 94, March 1900, p. 42.
- - Early motion pictures : the Paper Print Collection in the Library of Congress / by Kemp R. Niver. Library of Congress. 1985.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (15 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (43 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (15 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (43 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos 1 roll (ca. 45 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos (copy 2) 1 roll of 1 (ca. 45 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- FLA 3016 (viewing print)
- FEB 9843 (viewing print)
- FRA 0010 (dupe neg pic)
- FPE 5547 (dupe neg pic)
- Box 1131G (paper pos)
- Box 5267F (paper pos, copy 2)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
- The Life of a City: Early Films of New York, 1898 to 1906 (54)
- Inventing Entertainment: The Early Motion Pictures and Sound Recordings of the Edison Companies (431)
- National Screening Room (465)
- Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division (8,091)
- Library of Congress Online Catalog (1,221,669)
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright or other restrictions in the vast majority of motion pictures in these collections. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse.
In rare cases, copyrighted motion pictures are made available by special permission to the Library and may be used only for educational purposes. For example, the Gershwin home movies fall within this category. Rights assessment is your responsibility. No registration information exists for some titles, and reproduction of some titles may be restricted by privacy rights, publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Additionally, some works may still be protected by copyright in the United States or some foreign countries. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. You should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist you in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items for their desired uses. You should also consult restrictions associated with donations to the Library.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, Inc, and Paper Print Collection. Pilot boats in New York harbor. produceds by White, Jamesuction United States: Thomas A. Edison, Inc, 1899. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/00694407/.
APA citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, I. & Paper Print Collection. (1899) Pilot boats in New York harbor. White, J., prod United States: Thomas A. Edison, Inc. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/00694407/.
MLA citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, Inc, and Paper Print Collection. Pilot boats in New York harbor. prod by White, Jamesuction United States: Thomas A. Edison, Inc, 1899. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/00694407/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoStatue of Liberty A three-quarter front view of the Statue of Liberty. The statue was erected twelve years earlier, in 1886.
- Contributor: American Vitagraph Company - Smith, Albert E. (Albert Edward) - Blackton, James Stuart - Niver (Kemp) Collection (Library of Congress) - Thomas A. Edison, Inc - Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress) - White, James H. (James Henry)
- Date: 1898
Film, VideoFireboat "New Yorker" in action
Fireboat "New Yorker" in action--excerpts A demonstration by the famous fireboat "New Yorker." The picture shows the fireboat with all its nozzles spurting water as it goes back and forth in front of the camera. Put in...
- Contributor: Thomas A. Edison, Inc - Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress) - Smith, James Blair
- Date: 1903
Film, VideoSky scrapers of New York City, from the North River Filmed from a moving boat, the film depicts the Hudson River (i.e., North River) shoreline and the piers of lower Manhattan beginning around Fulton Street and extending to Castle Garden and Battery...
- Contributor: Thomas A. Edison, Inc - Niver (Kemp) Collection (Library of Congress) - Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress) - Smith, James Blair
- Date: 1903
Film, VideoAdmiral Dewey receiving the Washington and New York committees
Reception committee aboard the "Olympia" | Committee of Arrangements' visit to Admiral Dewey "Showing Committee of Arrangements' visit to the Admiral on board the U.S. Cruiser Olympia. 100 feet"--Edison films catalog no. 94. One of 20 films advertised in Edison films catalog no. 94, under...
- Contributor: Thomas A. Edison, Inc - Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress) - Brook Foundation Collection (Library of Congress) - White, James H. (James Henry)
- Date: 1899
Film, Video"Columbia" winning the Cup "The decisive moment in the great International Yacht Races is shown in this picture. Against a background of well defined clouds, the Light Boat is seen marking the finishing line in this...
- Contributor: Thomas A. Edison, Inc - Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress) - American Vitagraph Company - Smith, Albert E. (Albert Edward) - Blackton, James Stuart
- Date: 1899