Film, Video TR in San Francisco, 1903 Theodore Roosevelt in San Francisco, 1903 / President Roosevelt in San Francisco, 1903
About this Item
- TR in San Francisco, 1903
- Other Title
- Theodore Roosevelt in San Francisco, 1903
- President Roosevelt in San Francisco, 1903
- The following is a scene-by-scene description of the film: The camera was positioned on the southeast corner of O'Farrell Street and Van Ness Avenue, and pans from north to west to south, and then back to west. [Frame: 0100] The view is north on Van Ness Avenue toward the approaching band and cavalry. Students of Whittier School are in the foreground.  The band passing at left is led by conductor Paul Steindorff.  Following the band are the Cleveland Grays, a noted black cavalry troop, led by Captain Young, the first black graduate of West Point.  After a cut in the continuity of the film, the President's carriage approaches along the west side of the avenue.  Behind cheering crowds rises the Baltimore Family Hotel at Geary Street and Van Ness Avenue.  Students of the Moulder, Laguna Honda, and Oceanside Schools wave from the steps of St. Mary's Roman Catholic Cathedral (1891) as the President passes. The cathedral burned in 1962, and the new cathedral (1971) stands two blocks to the west.  The view is west up O'Farrell Street as the President passes, waving his top hat.  Students of Hearst School wave from the steps of Victorian homes. An officer of the 9th U.S. Cavalry follows the Presidential carriage.  The narrow, wooden tower may be a converted windmill.  Following another cut in the film, the return sequence begins. The camera looks south to see students of Rincon and Jefferson schools welcoming the returning presidential carriage. In the background are the towers of St. Ignatius Church on Hayes Street. In the middle at right are some of the mansions along Van Ness Avenue.  The President passes, looking rather tired. Secret Service agents walk with the carriage.
- Contributor Names
- Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection (Library of Congress)
- Created / Published
- [United States : s.n., 1903]
- Subject Headings
- - Roosevelt, Theodore,--1858-1919
- - San Francisco (Calif.)
- - United States.--Army.--Cavalry, 9th
- - Cleveland Grays (Organization)
- - United States.--Army--African American troops
- Filmed parades
- Actualities (Motion pictures)
- Short films
- Silent films
- Nonfiction films
- - Duration: 2:26 at 15 fps.
- - One of several films taken during President Theodore Roosevelt's visit to San Francisco on May 12-14, 1903 as part of his presidential tour of the West in 1903.
- - Photographed: May 12 and May 13, 1903. Location: Van Ness Ave., San Francisco, California.
- - The Theodore Roosevelt Association film collection catalog, p. 134 indicates the film was taken on May 12, however, other sources indicate that it was taken on May 13. May consist of footage taken on both days.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Sources used: San Francisco chronicle, 5/12/1903, p. 16; 5/13/1903, p. 1-8; San Francisco examiner, 5/12/1903, p. 1-4; San Francisco Chronicle. The city San Francisco in pictures, 1961, p. 52; Writers' Program. California. San Francisco, 1940, p. 287, p. 300; The Boston herald, 5/13/1903, p. 11 viewed online via Newsbank/Readix database, June 4, 2014.
- - The Theodore Roosevelt Association film collection : a catalog / prepared by Wendy White-Henson and Veronica M. Gillespie. Library of Congress, 1986.
- viewing print 1 film reel (54 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel (54 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- non-viewing pos pic 1 film reel (54 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- FAB 1454 (viewing print)
- FRA 6190 (dupe neg pic)
- FRA 6020 (non-viewing pos pic)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
ContributorsTheodore Roosevelt Association Collection (Library of Congress)
SubjectsActualities (Motion Pictures)
African American Troops
Cleveland Grays (Organization)
San Francisco (Calif.)
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division, Library of Congress
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright in the motion pictures in these collections. As is indicated in the cataloging, most of the titles were registered for copyright prior to 1916. (No registration information exists for some titles.) The Library notes that the reproduction of some titles may be restricted by privacy rights, publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Additionally, some works may still be protected by copyright in some foreign countries.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses. Users should also consult restrictions associated with donations to the Library.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.More information about American Memory and Copyright.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection. TR in San Francisco, 1903. [United States: s.n, 1903] Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/00694419/. (Accessed January 19, 2017.)
APA citation style:
Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection. (1903) TR in San Francisco, 1903. [United States: s.n] [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/00694419/.
MLA citation style:
Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection. TR in San Francisco, 1903. [United States: s.n, 1903] Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/00694419/>.