Book/Printed Material Recollections and opinions of an old pioneer
About this Item
- Recollections and opinions of an old pioneer
- Peter Hardeman Burnett (1807-1895) spent his early years in Tennessee and Missouri, serving as a district attorney in the latter state. In 1843 he joined an emigrant party bound for Oregon, where he became a prominent and controversial lawyer, judge, and politician in the new territory. In 1848, he went to California in search of gold and soon became a business and political leader of that territory. Recollections and opinions of an old pioneer (1880) contains Burnett's recollections of his early life in Missouri, his career in Oregon, and his decision to join a wagon train to California in the summer of 1848. There he seeks gold for six months before resuming the practice of law and the pursuit of politics. Elected a judge in August and governor in December 1849, Burnett turned to the practice of law in the 1850s and the business of banking in the 1860s. He touches on his various professional pursuits and his home life in Sacramento.
- Burnett, Peter H. (Peter Hardeman), 1807-1895
- Joseph Meredith Toner Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- New York, D. Appleton & company, 1880.
- - California--History
- - Pacific States--History
- - Law--Political aspects--California
- - Mines and mineral resources--California
- - Business
- - Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress Web site.
- - LAC ael 2020-10-08 update (1 card)
- xiii, 448 p. 21 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- F851 .B96
- F851 .B96 Copy 2 Toner Coll
Library of Congress Control Number
- No known restrictions on publication.
- online text
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
"California as I Saw It:" First-Person Narratives of California's Early Years, 1849-1900.
General Notice and Restriction Statement: The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright or any other restrictions in this collection, some content may be protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.), and/or the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Additionally, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by privacy and/or publicity rights.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, [appropriate source division as described in the bibliographic record]. For example: Library of Congress, General Collections; or, Library of Congress, Rare Book and Special Collections Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Burnett, Peter H, and Joseph Meredith Toner Collection. Recollections and Opinions of an Old Pioneer. New York, D. Appleton & company, 1880. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/01006673/.
APA citation style:
Burnett, P. H. & Joseph Meredith Toner Collection. (1880) Recollections and Opinions of an Old Pioneer. New York, D. Appleton & company. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/01006673/.
MLA citation style:
Burnett, Peter H, and Joseph Meredith Toner Collection. Recollections and Opinions of an Old Pioneer. New York, D. Appleton & company, 1880. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/01006673/>.