Book/Printed Material Arctic Alaska and Siberia, or, Eight months with the Arctic whalemen,
About this Item
- Arctic Alaska and Siberia, or, Eight months with the Arctic whalemen,
- Arctic Alaska and Siberia, or, Eight Months with the Arctic Whalemen is an account of the 1887 Arctic whaling season by journalist Herbert L. Aldrich (1860-1948). Between March and October of 1887, Aldrich spent time on eight New Bedford whaling vessels, documenting the whaling industry and the native peoples of Arctic Alaska. Aldrich was a young reporter for the New Bedford Evening Standard who resolved to accompany the Arctic whaling fleet after he was diagnosed with tuberculosis and told he had less than a year to live. He received the support of the leaders of New Bedford's whaling industry, who wanted him to document what they knew to be a dying industry. During his time in the Arctic, Aldrich took more than 700 photographs documenting all aspects of the whale hunt. Many of his photographs are now preserved in New Bedford Whaling Museum in New Bedford, Massachusetts. Upon his return to New Bedford, Aldrich lectured extensively on his experiences and published this book in 1889. The book includes illustrations and a map of the Arctic whaling grounds north of Alaska. Defying predictions of an early death, Aldrich lived into his late eighties. He went on to become managing editor of the Cleveland Plain Dealer and the Jacksonville Florida Citizen and in 1897 founded the Aldrich Publishing Company of New York. World Digital Library.
- Aldrich, Herbert L. (Herbert Lincoln), 1860-
Created / Published
- Chicago, New York, Rand, McNally & Company, 1889.
- - Whaling
- - Alaska--Description and travel
- - Siberia (Russia)--Description and travel
- - Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress Web site.
- - Also available in digital form.
- - images not viewed; td12 2010-10-19
- x, 11-234 p. incl. front. (fold. map) illus. plates. 20 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- F908 .A36
Library of Congress Control Number
- online text
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Aldrich, Herbert L. Arctic Alaska and Siberia, or, Eight months with the Arctic whalemen. Chicago, New York, Rand, McNally & Company, 1889. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/01015659/.
APA citation style:
Aldrich, H. L. (1889) Arctic Alaska and Siberia, or, Eight months with the Arctic whalemen. Chicago, New York, Rand, McNally & Company. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/01015659/.
MLA citation style:
Aldrich, Herbert L. Arctic Alaska and Siberia, or, Eight months with the Arctic whalemen. Chicago, New York, Rand, McNally & Company, 1889. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/01015659/>.