Book/Printed Material Historia geográfica, civil y natural de la isla de San Juan Bautista de Puerto-Rico,
About this Item
- Historia geográfica, civil y natural de la isla de San Juan Bautista de Puerto-Rico,
- Iñigo Abbad y Lasierra (1745-1813) was a Spanish-born Catholic priest who became secretary to the bishop of Puerto Rico in 1773 and remained on the island for ten years. Abbad's Historia, originally published in Spain, is considered the first modern historical work on Puerto Rico. It begins with the Spanish discovery and conquest of the island and ends in the late eighteenth century. Chapters twenty through forty are devoted to the study of the island's climate, economy, population, geography and natural history. Acosta's edition is an annotated and enlarged version of Abbad's work, published eighty years after the original. Acosta brought the Historia up-to-date (1866) and incorporated much new information that had not been available to Abbad. Acosta added his corrections and additions to the end of each chapter. As Acosta approached his own time, he incorporated much new historical information. He also used his annotations as a vehicle to advocate the abolition of slavery in Puerto Rico and encourage Spain to reduce Puerto Rican trade barriers.
- Abbad y Lasierra, Iñigo, 1745-1813.
- Acosta, José J. (José Julián), 1825-1892.
Created / Published
- Puerto-Rico, Impr. y librería de Acosta, 1866.
- - Puerto Rico--History--To 1898
- - Puerto Rico--Description and travel
- - Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress Web site.
- 1 p.l., x p., 1 l., 508 p. facsim. 27 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- F1958 .A13
Library of Congress Control Number
- online text
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and other rights holders (such as holders of publicity and /or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Note that there may be U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or other restrictions in these materials, and there may be content protected by copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. However, the Library is not aware of any copyrights or other rights associated with this material.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with any person intending to use an item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, General Collections, Hispanic Division, and the Geography and Map Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Abbad Y Lasierra, Iñigo, and José J Acosta. Historia geográfica, civil y natural de la isla de San Juan Bautista de Puerto-Rico. Puerto-Rico, Impr. y librería de Acosta, 1866. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/03006061/.
APA citation style:
Abbad Y Lasierra, I. & Acosta, J. J. (1866) Historia geográfica, civil y natural de la isla de San Juan Bautista de Puerto-Rico. Puerto-Rico, Impr. y librería de Acosta. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/03006061/.
MLA citation style:
Abbad Y Lasierra, Iñigo, and José J Acosta. Historia geográfica, civil y natural de la isla de San Juan Bautista de Puerto-Rico. Puerto-Rico, Impr. y librería de Acosta, 1866. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/03006061/>.