Book/Printed Material The oriental geography of Ebn Haukal, an Arabian traveller of the tenth century.
About this Item
- The oriental geography of Ebn Haukal, an Arabian traveller of the tenth century.
- Contributor Names
- Iṣṭakhrī, Ibrāhīm ibn Muḥammad, -957 or 958.
- Balkhī, Aḥmad ibn Sahl, 849 or 850-934.
- Muḥammad ibn Ḥauḳal, 10th century
- Ouseley, William, 1767-1842.
- Created / Published
- London, Printed by Wilson for T. Cadell, and W. Davies, 1800,
- Subject Headings
- - Egypt--Historical geography
- - Middle East--Historical geography
- - Ascribed by Ouseley in his translation to Muḥammad ibn Ḥauḳal and by Sprenger in the catalogue of his manuscripts (no. 1) to Aḥmad ibn Sahl (Abü Zaid) al-Balkhī. In 921 al-Balkhī wrote a geographical work in which the maps were the important part. Ca. 951, al-Iṣṭakhrī wrote a revision of al-Balkhī's work, commonly known as the "Kitāb al-aḳāiīm," in which he extended the description of places. A second revision of al-Balkhī's work was made ca. 977 by Ibn Ḥauḳal. cf. M. J. de Goeje, Die Istakhrī-Balkhī frage (in Zeitschrift der Deutschen morgenländischen geselischaft, 25. bd., 1871, p. 42-58) and C. Brockelmann, Geschichte der arabischen litteratur, 1898, bd. 1, p. 229.
- - English title preceded by title in Persian.
- - From a Persian version of the "Masālik al-mamālik." cf. Pref., p. iii.
- xxxvi, 327 p. fold. map. 28 cm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- DS6 .I87
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- OCLC Number
- Online Format
- online text
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
- IIIF Presentation Manifest
- Manifest (JSON/LD)
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Iṣṭakhrī, Ibrāhīm Ibn Muḥammad, -957 Or 958, Aḥmad Ibn Sahl Balkhī, 10Th Century Muḥammad Ibn Ḥauḳal, and William Ouseley. The oriental geography of Ebn Haukal, an Arabian traveller of the tenth century. London, Printed by Wilson for T. Cadell, and W. Davies, 1800. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/03017835/.
APA citation style:
Iṣṭakhrī, I. I. M., Balkhī, A. I. S., Muḥammad Ibn Ḥauḳal, 1. C. & Ouseley, W. (1800) The oriental geography of Ebn Haukal, an Arabian traveller of the tenth century. London, Printed by Wilson for T. Cadell, and W. Davies. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/03017835/.
MLA citation style:
Iṣṭakhrī, Ibrāhīm Ibn Muḥammad, -957 Or 958, et al. The oriental geography of Ebn Haukal, an Arabian traveller of the tenth century. London, Printed by Wilson for T. Cadell, and W. Davies, 1800. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/03017835/>.
More Books/Printed Material like this
Book/Printed MaterialDas Buch der Länder, Also available in digital form.
- Contributor: Mordtmann, A. D. (Andreas David) - Iṣṭakhrī, Ibrāhīm Ibn Muḥammad - Balkhī, Aḥmad Ibn Sahl
- Date: 1845
Book/Printed MaterialRelation de l'Égypte, Also available in digital form.
- Contributor: ʻabd Al-Laṭīf Al-Baghdādī, Muwaffaq Al-Dīn - Silvestre De Sacy, A. I. (Antoine Isaac)
- Date: 1810
Book/Printed MaterialHistoire ancienne de peuples de l'Orient classique ...
- Contributor: Maspero, G. (Gaston)
- Date: 1895
Book/Printed MaterialHistoire ancienne des peuples de l'Orient, ouvrage contenant trois cartes et quelques spécimens des écritures hiéroglyphiques ... Histoire ancienne des peuples de orient (The ancient history of Eastern peoples) is a history of ancient Egypt and the Near East by Gaston Maspero (1846-1916). More than 800 pages long, it...
- Contributor: Maspero, G. (Gaston)
- Date: 1886
Book/Printed MaterialThe World flat-globe and international geographical history of the world. Also available in digital form.
- Contributor: World Flat-Globe Corporation - Woodman, Joseph Edmund - Peary, Robert E. (Robert Edwin)
- Date: 1919