Book/Printed Material Ten years in Paradise. Leaves from a society reporter's note-book.
About this Item
- Ten years in Paradise. Leaves from a society reporter's note-book.
- Mary Bowden Carroll left Otsego County, New York, for San José, Santa Clara County, in 1892. Ten years in Paradise (1903) is less a personal memoir than a piece of promotional literature for her adopted home: summary of Santa Clara's social history, descriptions of local towns, tributes to the valley's commerce and industry, and attractions for the home seeker. A substantial portion of the book consists of brief descriptions of local clubs and societies with lists of their membership rolls.
- Carroll, Mary Bowden.
Created / Published
- [San Jose, Cal., Press of Popp & Hogan, 1903]
- - Santa Clara Valley (Santa Clara County, Calif.)
- - Ethnic groups--California
- - Women--California
- - Urbanization--California
- - Real estate development--California
- - Business--California
- - A description of Santa Clara Valley, California.
- - Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress Web site.
- 212 p. 28 pl. 23 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- F868.S26 C3
Library of Congress Control Number
- No known restrictions on publication.
- online text
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
"California as I Saw It:" First-Person Narratives of California's Early Years, 1849-1900.
General Notice and Restriction Statement: The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright or any other restrictions in this collection, some content may be protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.), and/or the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Additionally, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by privacy and/or publicity rights.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, [appropriate source division as described in the bibliographic record]. For example: Library of Congress, General Collections; or, Library of Congress, Rare Book and Special Collections Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Carroll, Mary Bowden. Ten years in Paradise. Leaves from a society reporter's note-book. [San Jose, Cal., Press of Popp & Hogan, 1903] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/04001604/.
APA citation style:
Carroll, M. B. (1903) Ten years in Paradise. Leaves from a society reporter's note-book. [San Jose, Cal., Press of Popp & Hogan] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/04001604/.
MLA citation style:
Carroll, Mary Bowden. Ten years in Paradise. Leaves from a society reporter's note-book. [San Jose, Cal., Press of Popp & Hogan, 1903] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/04001604/>.