Book/Printed Material Journal of a political mission to Afghanistan, in 1857, under Major (now Colonel) Lumsden; with an account of the country and people.
About this Item
- Journal of a political mission to Afghanistan, in 1857, under Major (now Colonel) Lumsden; with an account of the country and people.
- Journal of a Political Mission to Afghanistan is an account of a mission undertaken by Henry Burnett Lumsden, a British officer in the Indian army, to Kandahar, Afghanistan, in 1857. Lumsden's assignment was to ensure that the subsidies paid by the government of India to Amir Dost Mohammad Khan, ruler of Afghanistan, were being used for the upkeep of troops employed to defend Afghanistan against the Persians, a vital British interest. Lumsden was accompanied by his brother and fellow army officer, Lieutenant Peter Lumsden, and by Dr. Henry Walter Bellew, the author of the book presented here. Bellew was a surgeon and medical officer in the Indian Army who undertook a number of political missions in Afghanistan and went on to write several other works on Indian and Afghan subjects. The book has two parts. Part one, consisting of three chapters, is an introduction to Afghanistan and its people. It covers geography, topography, marriage and customs, the ethnic groups that make up the Afghan population, history, and religion. The origins of the Afghan people and the tradition that they are descended from Saul, the first king of Israel, are covered in detail. The second and much longer part of the book is Bellew's journal of the mission in 11 chapters. There are eight beautiful color prints of Afghan subjects, and an appendix with a list of all the plants gathered by Bellew on the march to and from Kandahar with brief descriptions of their characteristics and, where relevant, their medical uses. World Digital Library.
- Bellew, H. W. (Henry Walter), 1834-1892.
Created / Published
- London, Smith, Elder and co., 1862.
- - Bellew, H. W.--(Henry Walter),--1834-1892
- - Afghanistan--Description and travel
- xv, , 480 p. 8 col. pl. (incl. front.) 23 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- DS352 .B43
Library of Congress Control Number
- online text
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Bellew, H. W. Journal of a political mission to Afghanistan, in , under Major now Colonel Lumsden; with an account of the country and people. London, Smith, Elder and co, 1862. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/05003059/.
APA citation style:
Bellew, H. W. (1862) Journal of a political mission to Afghanistan, in , under Major now Colonel Lumsden; with an account of the country and people. London, Smith, Elder and co. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/05003059/.
MLA citation style:
Bellew, H. W. Journal of a political mission to Afghanistan, in , under Major now Colonel Lumsden; with an account of the country and people. London, Smith, Elder and co, 1862. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/05003059/>.