Book/Printed Material Cabool: a personal narrative of a journey to, and residence in that city, in the years 1836, 7, and 8.
About this Item
- Cabool: a personal narrative of a journey to, and residence in that city, in the years 1836, 7, and 8.
- Cabool: A Personal Narrative of a Journey to, and Residence in that City, in the Years 1836, 7, and 8 is an account of an 18-month voyage undertaken by Sir Alexander Burnes and three companions by order of the governor-general of India. The purpose of the journey was to survey the Indus River and the territories adjoining it, with the aim of opening up the river to commerce. Following a route that took them up the Indus from its mouth in present-day Pakistan, Burnes and his party visited Shikarpur, Peshawar, Kabul, Herat, and Jalalabad, before completing their journey in Lahore. The book contains detailed information about the ethnic, linguistic, and religious groups living in Afghanistan and parts of present-day Pakistan, and observations about the war underway at that time between the Sikh Empire and the Emirate of Afghanistan. Also included is a brief account of the formal audience with the amir of Afghanistan, Dōst Moḥammad Khān, who cordially received the visitors as representatives of the governor-general of India. Of particular interest is the economic and demographic data compiled by Burnes and his party, which is presented in striking detail. The book notes, for example, that the bazaar at Dera Ghazee Khan (present-day Dera Ghazi Khan City, Pakistan) had 1,597 shops, of which 115 were sellers of cloth, 25 sellers of silk, 60 jewelers, 18 paper sellers, and so forth. Equally detailed information is given about the prices of grains and other commodities, the production of dates and pomegranates, and the number of Hazaras living in the region between Kabul and Herat, which is put at 66,900. Burnes was killed in Afghanistan in 1841, and this book was published posthumously. World Digital Library.
- Burnes, Alexander, Sir, 1805-1841.
Created / Published
- Philadelphia, Carey and Hart, 1843.
- - Burnes, Alexander,--Sir,--1805-1841
- - Afghanistan--Description and travel
- - Kabul (Afghanistan)--Social life and customs--19th century
- - Also available in digital form.
- 1 p. l., -96 p. 24 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- DS352 .B97
Library of Congress Control Number
- online text
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Burnes, Alexander, Sir. Cabool: A Personal Narrative of a Journey To, and Residence in That City, in the Years , 7, and 8. Philadelphia, Carey and Hart, 1843. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/05003144/.
APA citation style:
Burnes, A. (1843) Cabool: A Personal Narrative of a Journey To, and Residence in That City, in the Years , 7, and 8. Philadelphia, Carey and Hart. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/05003144/.
MLA citation style:
Burnes, Alexander, Sir. Cabool: A Personal Narrative of a Journey To, and Residence in That City, in the Years , 7, and 8. Philadelphia, Carey and Hart, 1843. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/05003144/>.