Book/Printed Material As possessões portuguezas na Oceania;
About this Item
- As possessões portuguezas na Oceania;
- This book by Affonso de Castro, an infantry captain in the Portuguese Army who served as governor of East Timor (present-day Timor-Leste) from 1859 to 1863, is one of the earliest historical studies of this former Portuguese colony. The work is in two parts. The first part examines the history of East Timor from its occupation by the Portuguese in the 16th century, and recounts Queen Mena's conversion to Christianity and the disputes with the Dutch over the region. In the second part of the study, the author examines the colony's physical, administrative, and economic conditions, including the issue of the border, which was settled by a treaty between the Portuguese and the Dutch in 1860, dividing the island into two halves. World Digital Library.
- Castro, Affonso de.
Created / Published
- Lisboa, Imprensa nacional, 1867.
- - Portugal--Colonies--Oceania
- - Portugal--History--Period of discoveries, 1385-1580
- - Timor-Leste
- - Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress Web site.
- - digital files not viewed; td12 2008-11-3
- 5 p.l., [v]-xxi p., 1 l., 460 p., 1 l. fold. map. 23 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- DS646.5 .C35
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Castro, Affonso De. As possessões portuguezas na Oceania. Lisboa, Imprensa nacional, 1867. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/05013860/.
APA citation style:
Castro, A. D. (1867) As possessões portuguezas na Oceania. Lisboa, Imprensa nacional. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/05013860/.
MLA citation style:
Castro, Affonso De. As possessões portuguezas na Oceania. Lisboa, Imprensa nacional, 1867. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/05013860/>.