Book/Printed Material A voyage down the Amoor: with a land journey through Siberia, and incidental notices of Manchooria, Kamschatka, and Japan.
About this Item
- A voyage down the Amoor: with a land journey through Siberia, and incidental notices of Manchooria, Kamschatka, and Japan.
- Perry McDonough Collins was appointed the American Commercial Agent to the Amur River in March 1856. He arrived at his post in Irkutsk in January 1857 after a 35-day overland journey from Moscow. On June 4, 1857, he began a trip down the Amur River, which forms the border between the Russian Far East and northeastern China. On July 10, he arrived at the mouth of the river, becoming the first American to sail its course. In March 1858 Collins sent a report to the U.S. Department of State on the great potential of the Amur River for American trade in Asia, helping to set off a mini-boom in American interest in Siberia. A Voyage Down the Amoor recounts Collins' adventures and observations. Collins later launched a project to link Europe and the United States with a telegraph line that would run through Alaska and across the Bering Strait to Siberia. Construction of the project began but was abandoned once the feasibility of the shorter and less expensive trans-Atlantic undersea cable was established. World Digital Library.
- Contributor Names
- Collins, Perry McDonough, 1813-1900.
- Created / Published
- New York, D. Appleton and Company, 1860.
- Subject Headings
- - Amur River (China and Russia)
- - Siberia (Russia)--Description and travel
- - A later edition, 1864, has title: Overland explorations in Siberia, northern Asia, and the great Amoor River country.
- - Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress Web site.
- 2 p. l., 390 p. 4 pl. (incl. front.) 20 cm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- DK755 .C71
- Library of Congress Control Number
- OCLC Number
- Online Format
- online text
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
- IIIF Presentation Manifest
- Manifest (JSON/LD)
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Collins, Perry Mcdonough. A voyage down the Amoor: with a land journey through Siberia, and incidental notices of Manchooria, Kamschatka, and Japan. New York, D. Appleton and Company, 1860. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/05014113/.
APA citation style:
Collins, P. M. (1860) A voyage down the Amoor: with a land journey through Siberia, and incidental notices of Manchooria, Kamschatka, and Japan. New York, D. Appleton and Company. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/05014113/.
MLA citation style:
Collins, Perry Mcdonough. A voyage down the Amoor: with a land journey through Siberia, and incidental notices of Manchooria, Kamschatka, and Japan. New York, D. Appleton and Company, 1860. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/05014113/>.
More Books/Printed Material like this
Book/Printed MaterialL'expédition de la Jeannette au pôle nord, racontée par tous les membres de l'expédition; ouvrage composé ... L'Expédition de la Jeannette au Pole Nord (The expedition of the Jeannette to the North Pole) is a two-volume compilation of documents, published in Paris in 1883, relating to the wreck of...
- Contributor: Geslin, Jules
- Date: 1883
Book/Printed MaterialArctic Alaska and Siberia, or, Eight months with the Arctic whalemen, Arctic Alaska and Siberia, or, Eight Months with the Arctic Whalemen is an account of the 1887 Arctic whaling season by journalist Herbert L. Aldrich (1860-1948). Between March and October of 1887,...
- Contributor: Aldrich, Herbert L. (Herbert Lincoln)
- Date: 1889
Book/Printed MaterialOverland through Asia. Pictures of Siberian, Chinese, and Tartar life. Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress Web site. Also available in digital form.
- Contributor: Knox, Thomas Wallace
- Date: 1870
Book/Printed MaterialVoyage au Kamtschatka par la Sibérie. Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress Web site.
- Contributor: Pre- Imprint Collection (Library of Congress) - Gmelin, Johann Georg
- Date: 1779
Book/Printed MaterialOpisanīe Sibirskago t︠s︡arstva i vsi︠e︡khʺ proizshedshikhʺ vʺ nemʺ di︠e︡lʺ, otʺ nachala, a osoblivo otʺ pokorenīi︠a︡ ego ...
Описаніе Сибирскаго царства и всѣхъ произшедшихъ въ немъ дѣлъ, отъ начала а особливо отъ покоренія его россійской Державѣ по сіи времена / | Opisanie Sibirskogo t︠s︡arstva i vsekh proizshedshikh v nem del, ot nachala a osoblivo ot pokorenii︠a︡ ego rossiĭskoĭ Derzhave po sii vremena Translated from the German manuscript by V. Lebedev and I. Golubt︠s︡ov. Engraved vignette on title page by Ivanʺ Sokolovʺ. See I︠U︡. Bitovt, Ri︠e︡dkīi︠a︡ russkīi︠a︡ knigi, 1905. Engraved title page. Signatures: )(⁴ )()(⁴,...
- Contributor: Miller, Gerard Fridrikh - Golubt︠s︡ovʺ, Ivanʺ Ivanovich - Yudin Collection (Library of Congress) - Lebedevʺ, Vasilīĭ Ivanovich - Sokolovʺ, Ivanʺ Aleksi︠e︡evich
- Date: 1750