Book/Printed Material A treatise on the elements of dancing. Elements of dancing
About this Item
- A treatise on the elements of dancing.
- Elements of dancing
- Many manuals compiled from previously published sources under a variety of author names were aimed at an ever-expanding group of people who could not avail themselves of a dance master. This work strives to instruct in a plain and explicit manner, making no attempts to discuss dance "technically and methodically." The manual is structured as a series of lessons. For example, lesson one of eleven on the waltz requires the reader to begin by being "seated upright in a chair." The manual also covers the polka, glide polka, heel and toe polka, schottisch, quadrilles, and the German (also known as the cotillon).
- Sichore, T. Erp.
Created / Published
- San Francisco, The Bancroft Co., 1891.
- - Ballroom dancing--Handbooks, manuals, etc
- - Dance Instruction and Technical Manuals
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as facsimile page images and full text.
- vi, p., 1 l., 9-123 p. illus. 20 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- GV1751 .B87
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright or any other restrictions in the materials in this collection.
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
The accompanying videos were produced by the Library of Congress. Note Video Performers for additional credits for video performers.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Music Division.
Performers for the October 1997 Great Hall event: Dancers
Members of The Jonquil Street Foundation, Inc. Ariane Anthony, Thomas Baird, Barbara Barr, Patricia Beaman, Christopher Caines, Charles Garth, James Martin, Maris Wolff. Musicians - members of The Library of Congress Centennial Cotillion Brass Band, Emerson Head and Robert Sheldon, Leaders (Members, Metro Washington D.C. Federation of Musicians Local 161-710, AFM.)
Performers for the Coolidge Auditorium clips: Dancers
Cheryl Stafford and Thomas Baird. Musicians - Boris Gurevitch (piano), Susan Manus (violin).
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sichore, T. Erp. A Treatise on the Elements of Dancing. San Francisco, The Bancroft Co, 1891. Web.. https://lccn.loc.gov/05035059.
APA citation style:
Sichore, T. E. (1891) A Treatise on the Elements of Dancing. San Francisco, The Bancroft Co. [Web.] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://lccn.loc.gov/05035059.
MLA citation style:
Sichore, T. Erp. A Treatise on the Elements of Dancing. San Francisco, The Bancroft Co, 1891. Web.. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <lccn.loc.gov/05035059>.