Book/Printed Material From East Prussia to the Golden Gate,
About this Item
- From East Prussia to the Golden Gate,
- Frank Lecouvreur (1829-1901) was born Franz Lecouvreur in Ortlesburg, Prussia. Educated as an engineer, he left home for California in 1851. From East Prussia to the Golden Gate (1906) draws on Lecouvreur's letters and journals to describe his journey from Prussia to California and his life in his new home. His letters from the gold mines on the Yuba River offer an unusually professional analysis of mining methods at Hopkinsville and Long Bar and continue with a series of odd jobs in San Francisco and trips to Alameda and San José, 1853-1854. In 1855, Lecouvreur moves to Southern California , and scattered diary entries cover his service as Los Angeles county clerk and deputy county surveyor and businessman, 1855-1868.
- Lecouvreur, Frank, 1829-1901.
- Lecouvreur, Josephine Rosana.
- Behnke, Julius Camillus, 1859-
Created / Published
- New York, Los Angeles, Cal., Angelina book concern; [etc., etc.] 1906.
- - California--Description and travel
- - Voyages to the Pacific coast
- - Ethnic groups--California
- - Mines and mineral resources--California
- - Agriculture--California
- - Business--California
- - Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress Web site.
- - Also available in digital form.
- xiii, 15-355 p. plates, ports. (incl. front.) double maps. 24 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- F865 .L46
Library of Congress Control Number
- No known restrictions on publication.
- online text
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
"California as I Saw It:" First-Person Narratives of California's Early Years, 1849-1900.
General Notice and Restriction Statement: The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright or any other restrictions in this collection, some content may be protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.), and/or the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Additionally, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by privacy and/or publicity rights.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, [appropriate source division as described in the bibliographic record]. For example: Library of Congress, General Collections; or, Library of Congress, Rare Book and Special Collections Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Lecouvreur, Frank, Josephine Rosana Lecouvreur, and Julius Camillus Behnke. From East Prussia to the Golden Gate. [New York, Los Angeles, Cal., Angelina book concern; etc., et, 1906] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/07006773/.
APA citation style:
Lecouvreur, F., Lecouvreur, J. R. & Behnke, J. C. (1906) From East Prussia to the Golden Gate. [New York, Los Angeles, Cal., Angelina book concern; etc., et] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/07006773/.
MLA citation style:
Lecouvreur, Frank, Josephine Rosana Lecouvreur, and Julius Camillus Behnke. From East Prussia to the Golden Gate. [New York, Los Angeles, Cal., Angelina book concern; etc., et, 1906] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/07006773/>.