Book/Printed Material [Census reports] Tenth census.
About this Item
- [Census reports] Tenth census.
- United States. Census Office.
- Walker, Francis Amasa, 1840-1897.
- Seaton, Chas. W. (Charles William), 1831-1885.
- Gannett, Henry, 1846-1914.
- Joseph Meredith Toner Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- Washington, Govt. print. off., 1883-1888.
- [v.3] ... Productions of agriculture: Remarks on the statistics of sgriculture, by Francis A. Walker.--General statistics; Tabular statements.--Cereal production, by Wm. H. Brewer.--Flour-milling, by Knight Neftel.--Tobacco culture, by J. B. Killebrew.--Manufacture and movement of tobacoo, by J. R. Dodge.--Meat production, by Clarence Gordon. [v.4] ... Agencies of transportation: Statistics of railroads, by Armin E. Shuman.--Steam navigation, Thos. C. Purdy.--Canals, by Thos. C. Purdy.--Telegraphs and Telephones, by Armin E. Shuman.--Postal telgraphs, by Robert B. Lines. [v.5] ... Cotton production in the United States; also embracing agricultural and physico-geographical descriptions of the several cotton states and of California : pt. I. General discussion of cotton production, by Eugene W. Hilgard. Cotton production in the Mississippi valley and southwestern states; Louisiana, Mississippi, by Eugene W. Hilgard; Tennessee and Kentucky, by James M. Safford; Missouri, Arkansas, Texas, Indian territory, by R. H. Loughbridge.--pt. II. Cotton production in the Eastern gulf, Atlantic and Pacific states; Alabama, Florida, by Eugene A. Smith; Georgia, by R. H. Loughbridge; South Carolina, by Harry Hammond; North Carolina, Virginia, by W. C. Kerr.--Appendix: California, Notes on Utah, Arizona and New Mexico, by Eugene W. Hilgard. [v.7] ... Valuation, taxation, and public indebtedness ... comp. under the direction of Robert P. Porter, special agent. [v.8] The newspapers and periodical press, by S. N. D. North.--Alaska: its population, industries, and resources, by Ivan Petroff.--The seal islands of Alaska, by Henry W. Elliott.--Ship-building industry in the United States, by Henry Hail. [v.9] ... Forests of North America (exclusive of Mexico), by Charles S. Sargent. Portfolio of 16 folded maps. [v.10] ... Production, technology, and uses of petroleum and its products, by S. F. Peckham.--The manufacture of coke, by Joseph D. Weeks.--Building stones of the United States, and statistics of the quarry industry for 1880. (Letter of transmittal by Henry Gannett; articales by George W. Hawes, F. W. Sperr, N. S. Shaler, and others) [v.11-12] ...Mortality and vital statistics, by John S. Billings. Portfolio of plates and diagrams. [v.13] ... Statistics and technology of the precious metals, prepared under the direction of Clarence King, special agent, by S. F. Emmons and G. F. Becker. [v.14] ... The United States mining laws and regulations thereunder, and state and territorial mining laws, to which are appended local mining rules and regulations, compiled under the direction of Clarence King. [v.15] ... Mining industries of the United States (exclusive of the precious metals), with special investigations into the iron resources of the republic and into the cretaceous coals of the Northwest, by Raphael Pumpelly. [v.16-17] Statistics of power and machinery employed in manufactures. Prof. W. P. Trowbridge, chief special agent. Water power of the United States: pt. I. Streams of eastern New England, by George F. Swain. Region tributary to Long island sound, Hudson river basin and lake George outlet; Region tributary to lake Ontario and the New York state canals, by Dwight Porter. Drainage basins of lakes Huron and Erie and of Niagara falls and river, by James L. Greenleaf. Middle Atlantic water-shed, Southern Atlantic water-shed, by George F. Swain. Eastern gulf slope, by Dwight Porter.--pt. II. The Northwest; The Mississippi river and some of its tributaries, by James L. Greenleaf. Region tributary to the Mississippi river on the west, below Dubuque, Ohio river basin and the Ohio state canals, by Dwight Porter. Water supply of certain cities and towns of the United States, by Walter G. Elliot. [v.18-19] ... Social statistics of cities, comp. by George E. Waring, jr.: pt. I. The New England and the Middle states.--pt. II. The Southern and Western states. [v.20] ... Statistics of wages in manufacturing industries; with supplementary reports on the average retail prices of necessaries of life, and on trade societies, and strikes and lockouts, by Jos. D. Weeks. [v.21] ... Defective, dependent, and delinquent classes of the population of the United States... by Frederick Howard Wines. [v.22] ... Power and machinery employed in manufactures ... Prof. W. P. Trowbridge, chief special agent: Statistics of steam and water power used in the manufacture of iron and steel, by Herman Hollerith.--Machine tools and wood-working machinery, by F. R. Hutton.-- Wool and silk machinery, by Knight Nftel.--Pumps and pumping engines, by F. R. Hutton.--Manufacture of engines and boilers, by Charles H. Fitch.--Marine engines and steam vessels, by Charles H. Fitch.--Report on the ice industry of the United States, by Henry Hall.
- - United States--Census, 1880
- - Dates of publication: [v. 1-4] 1883; [v. 5-10] 1884; [v. 11, 13-14, 16] 1885; [v. 12, 15, 18, 20] 1886; [v. 17, 19] 1887; [v. 21-22] 1888.
- - Portfolio of plates and diagrams accomapnies v. 9, Report on the forests of North America.
- - At head of title: Department of the interior. Census office.
- - Francis A. Walker, superintendent, appointed April 1, 1879; resigned November 3, 1881. Chas W. Seton, superintendent, appointed November 4, 1881. Carroll D. Wright.--Manufactures of interchangeable mechanism, by Charles H. Fitch.--Hardware, cutlery, and edge tools, by Charles H. Fitch.--Iron and steel production, by James W. Swank.--Silk manufacture, by Wm. C. Wyckoff.--Cotton manufacture, by Edward Atkinson.--Woolen manufacture, by Geo. Wm. Bond.--Chemical products and salt, by Wm. L. Rowland.--Glass manufacture, by Jos. D. Weeks.
- - Shelfist Card no. 2 missing from drawer, so Contents for vols.1-2 are not added. LAC sba 2021-04-22.
- - LAC sba 2021-04-22 update (8 cards)
- 22 v. illus., plates (part fold. and col.) maps (part fold., incl. front.) diagrs. (part fold.) 29-30 cm. and portfolios (diagrs. and 16 fold maps)
Call Number/Physical Location
- HA201 1880 .B1
Library of Congress Control Number
- This is non-restricted, fully open content that may be accessed on and off of the Library of Congress campus, with no restrictions, by an unlimited number of users.
- online text
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
- Gannett, Henry
- Joseph Meredith Toner Collection (Library of Congress)
- Seaton, Chas. W. (Charles William)
- United States. Census Office
- Walker, Francis Amasa
Rights & Access
The books in this collection are in the public domain and are free to use and reuse.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
More about Copyright and other Restrictions.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
United States Census Office, Francis Amasa Walker, Chas. W Seaton, Henry Gannett, and Joseph Meredith Toner Collection. Census reports Tenth census. Washington, Govt. print. off., to 1888, 1883. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/07018862/.
APA citation style:
United States Census Office, Walker, F. A., Seaton, C. W., Gannett, H. & Joseph Meredith Toner Collection. (1883) Census reports Tenth census. Washington, Govt. print. off., to 1888. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/07018862/.
MLA citation style:
United States Census Office, et al. Census reports Tenth census. Washington, Govt. print. off., to 1888, 1883. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/07018862/>.