Book/Printed Material The story of my childhood,
About this Item
- The story of my childhood,
- Clara Barton, the popular name of Clarissa Harlowe Barton (1821-1912), is best known as the founder of the American Red Cross. She worked as a schoolteacher from 1836 to 1854 and later as a copyist in the U.S. Patent Office in Washington, DC. During the American Civil War, she organized relief for wounded soldiers and became known as the "Angel of the Battlefield." She later worked for the International Red Cross during the Franco-Prussian War of 1870-71. She established the U.S. branch of the Red Cross in 1881, and served as the organization's president from 1881 to 1904. Barton wrote The Story of My Childhood in retirement at her home in Glen Echo, Maryland. Her purpose in writing the book, she explained in the preface, was to respond to requests from children who were studying her in their American history classes at school and wanted to know more about her life and career. The book recounts her life growing up on a farm in Oxford, Massachusetts, as the youngest of ten children and recalls two formative experiences that shaped her later work: nursing her brother David back to health after he was seriously injured in an accident, and becoming an elementary-school teacher at age 17. World Digital Library.
- Barton, Clara, 1821-1912.
Created / Published
- New York, The Baker & Taylor co., 1907.
- - Barton, Clara,--1821-1912
- - Nurses--United States--Biography
- - Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress Web site, and in microfilm.
- - digital files not viewed; td12 2013-8-27
- 125 p. front., pl., ports. 15 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- HV569.B3 A3
- Microfilm 61228 HV Microfilm replacement.
Library of Congress Control Number
- online text
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Barton, Clara. The Story of My Childhood. New York, The Baker & Taylor co, 1907. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/07035389/.
APA citation style:
Barton, C. (1907) The Story of My Childhood. New York, The Baker & Taylor co. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/07035389/.
MLA citation style:
Barton, Clara. The Story of My Childhood. New York, The Baker & Taylor co, 1907. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/07035389/>.