Book/Printed Material Traité sur l'art de la danse, dédié á Monsieur Gardel, l'ainé
About this Item
- Traité sur l'art de la danse, dédié á Monsieur Gardel, l'ainé
- This instructional manual describes Baroque dance steps and their correlation with music using the notation system published by Raoul-Auger Feuillet in 1700. Additionally, the manual contains information on the minuet and also provides an extensive discussion on hand and arm positions.
- Malpied, M.
Created / Published
- A Paris : Boüin, [1770?]
- - Dance--Handbooks, manuals, etc.--Early works to 1800
- - Dance Instruction and Technical Manuals
- - Music for Dance
- - Notation for Dance
- - Engr. t-p. and text.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as facsimile page images.
- - LAC tnb 2019-07-03 update (1 card)
- 1 p. l., A-D, 122 p. : ill., music ; 22 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- GV1600 .M3
- GV1600 .M4
- Microfilm Music 5000 Item M-016, Reel 116 Microfilm. Washington, D.C. : Library of Congress, . 1 microfilm reel ; 35 mm. On reel with other titles.
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
- An American Ballroom Companion: Dance Instruction Manuals, Ca. 1490 to 1920 (325)
- Books About Music Before 1800 (2,002)
- Music Treasures Consortium: Library of Congress (6,540)
- The Library of Congress Celebrates the Songs of America (52,141)
- Music Division (102,907)
- Library of Congress Online Catalog (1,495,540)
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright or any other restrictions in the materials in this collection.
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
The accompanying videos were produced by the Library of Congress. Note Video Performers for additional credits for video performers.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Music Division.
Performers for the October 1997 Great Hall event: Dancers
Members of The Jonquil Street Foundation, Inc. Ariane Anthony, Thomas Baird, Barbara Barr, Patricia Beaman, Christopher Caines, Charles Garth, James Martin, Maris Wolff. Musicians - members of The Library of Congress Centennial Cotillion Brass Band, Emerson Head and Robert Sheldon, Leaders (Members, Metro Washington D.C. Federation of Musicians Local 161-710, AFM.)
Performers for the Coolidge Auditorium clips: Dancers
Cheryl Stafford and Thomas Baird. Musicians - Boris Gurevitch (piano), Susan Manus (violin).
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Malpied, M. Traité sur l'art de la danse, dédié á Monsieur Gardel, l'ainé. [A Paris: Boüin, ?, 1770] Image. https://www.loc.gov/item/10004415/.
APA citation style:
Malpied, M. (1770) Traité sur l'art de la danse, dédié á Monsieur Gardel, l'ainé. [A Paris: Boüin, ?] [Image] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/10004415/.
MLA citation style:
Malpied, M. Traité sur l'art de la danse, dédié á Monsieur Gardel, l'ainé. [A Paris: Boüin, ?, 1770] Image. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/10004415/>.