Book/Printed Material Addresses, reminiscences, etc. of General John Bidwell.
About this Item
- Addresses, reminiscences, etc. of General John Bidwell.
- John Bidwell (1819-1900) was born in Chautaugua County, New York, and lived in Ohio when he decided to seek his fortune in California in 1841 and journeyed west as part of the first emigrant train going overland from Missouri to California. There he found work at Fort Sutter. He sided with governor Micheltorena in the 1844 revolt but aided the Bear Flag rebels in 1846. After serving with Frm̌ont, he returned to Fort Sutter. Among the first to find gold on Feather River, Bidwell used his earnings to secure a grant north of Sacramento in 1849, and he spent the rest of his life as a farmer at "Rancho Chico," becoming a leader of the state's agricultural interests. A Democrat and Unionist during the Civil War, Bidwell served in the U.S. House, 1864-66, and was the Prohibition Party's candidate for governor (1890) and President (1892). Throughout his life in California, he was a friend to Native American tribes. Addresses, reminiscences...(1906) includes a biographical sketch of Bidwell as well as Bidwell's own reminiscences and political speeches. The Bidwell first-person narrative interspersed through this volume is based on the text that first appeared serially in the Century Magazine in 1890. The first section of the memoir, journal entries for May 8-November 6, 1891, together with a summary of Bidwell's activities in the following months and a meteorological register for November 1841-April 1842, was published by a friend in Missouri some time in 1843 or 1844. ("A Journey to California" pp. [66-98]). Subsequent portions of the memoir were composed by Bidwell much later, probably in the late 1880s. Bidwell's memoirs focus on his overland journey to California and life in his new home state before the discovery of gold. He offers details of Johann Sutter and his colony, the Frm̌ont expedition, Native Americans, California politics under Mexico, and early discoveries of gold. The Bidwell speeches published here include several papers delivered before local agricultural societies and political addresses delivered by Bidwell as a candidate.
- Bidwell, John, 1819-1900.
- Royce, Charles C., 1845-1923.
Created / Published
- Chico, Cal., 1907.
- - California--History
- - With Royce, Charles C. John Bidwell, pioneer, statesman, philanthropist ... Chico, Cal., 1906.
- - Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress Web site.
- 2 p.l.  p. plates, ports., map, facsims. 26 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- F861 .B52
- F861 .B52 Copy 2 Copy 2.
Library of Congress Control Number
- No known restrictions on publication.
- online text
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
"California as I Saw It:" First-Person Narratives of California's Early Years, 1849-1900.
General Notice and Restriction Statement: The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright or any other restrictions in this collection, some content may be protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.), and/or the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Additionally, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by privacy and/or publicity rights.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, [appropriate source division as described in the bibliographic record]. For example: Library of Congress, General Collections; or, Library of Congress, Rare Book and Special Collections Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Bidwell, John, and Charles C Royce. Addresses, reminiscences, etc. of General John Bidwell. Chico, Cal, 1907. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/10005282/.
APA citation style:
Bidwell, J. & Royce, C. C. (1907) Addresses, reminiscences, etc. of General John Bidwell. Chico, Cal. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/10005282/.
MLA citation style:
Bidwell, John, and Charles C Royce. Addresses, reminiscences, etc. of General John Bidwell. Chico, Cal, 1907. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/10005282/>.