Book/Printed Material Eldorado; or, California as seen by a pioneer, 1850-1900.
About this Item
- Eldorado; or, California as seen by a pioneer, 1850-1900.
- David Augustus Shaw left Marengo, Illinois, in 1850 for the overland trail to California, where he settled in Pasadena and was an active member of the local Society of Pioneers. Eldorado (1900) records Shaw's first stay in the West, 1850-1852, when he worked as a miner and rancher; his return to Illinois and second overland journey west, 1853, this time bringing a herd of horses; and a third round trip to the East, 1856, this time crossing at Panama. In California, Shaw works as a miner and rancher. He offers anecdotes of Salt Lake City and the Mormons, trappers and mountain men, Hangtown and Placerville, and criminal justice.
- Shaw, David Augustus, 1826-1915.
Created / Published
- Los Angeles, Cal., B.R. Baumgardt & co., 1900.
- - California
- - Law--Political aspects--California
- - Mines and mineral resources--California
- - Agriculture--California
- - Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress Web site.
- 7 p.l., -313 p. front., plates, port. 20 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- F864 .S57
- calbk 012 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.gdc/calbk.012
Library of Congress Control Number
- No known restrictions on publication.
- online text
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
"California as I Saw It:" First-Person Narratives of California's Early Years, 1849-1900.
General Notice and Restriction Statement: The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright or any other restrictions in this collection, some content may be protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.), and/or the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Additionally, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by privacy and/or publicity rights.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, [appropriate source division as described in the bibliographic record]. For example: Library of Congress, General Collections; or, Library of Congress, Rare Book and Special Collections Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Shaw, David Augustus. Eldorado; or, California as seen by a pioneer, -1900. Los Angeles, Cal., B.R. Baumgardt & co, 1900. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/11013571/.
APA citation style:
Shaw, D. A. (1900) Eldorado; or, California as seen by a pioneer, -1900. Los Angeles, Cal., B.R. Baumgardt & co. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/11013571/.
MLA citation style:
Shaw, David Augustus. Eldorado; or, California as seen by a pioneer, -1900. Los Angeles, Cal., B.R. Baumgardt & co, 1900. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/11013571/>.