Book/Printed Material Trattato teorico-prattico di ballo Vol. 2 has title: Trattato di ballo teorico-prattico / Trattato di ballo teorico-prattico
About this Item
- Trattato teorico-prattico di ballo
- Vol. 2 has title: Trattato di ballo teorico-prattico
- Trattato di ballo teorico-prattico
- This manual represents one of the most important sources on dance technique for the second half of the eighteenth century and is a critical link between Baroque dance and early romantic ballet. Part one is divided into sixty sections describing various aspects of dance beginning with a statement on the utility of dance, and feet positions. The manual continues with descriptions of many steps, for example, four types of battemens, nine types of pas de bourrée, balloté, fouetté, and twenty-three types of cabriole. Also included is extensive information on late eighteenth-century grotesque style, especially important for the study of Italian pantomime. Part two discusses the responsibilities of a dancing master and manner of performing the minuet. The manual concludes with instructions for thirty-nine contradanze (contredanses), including one dance that is arranged for thirty-two performers.
- Magri, Gennaro, active 1779
Created / Published
- Napoli : V. Orsino, M.DCC.LXXIX 
- - Dance--Handbooks, manuals, etc.--Early works to 1800
- - Dance music--History and criticism
- - Dance Instruction and Technical Manuals
- - Theatrical Dance
- - Notation for Dance
- - Music for Dance
- - Italy--Naples
- - The engraved plates consist of diagrammed dances, most with accompanying dance music, which was composed by Magri, De Dominicis, Di Gennaro, Giuliano, A. Montoro, F. Piombanti, G. Rava, Sangro di S. Severo, and Scotti.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as facsimile page images.
- - LAC tnb 2019-07-03 no edits (1 card)
- 2 v. in 1. : 22 pl. (part fold.) ; 22 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- GV1590 .M3
- Microfilm Music 5000 Item M-008, Reel 115 Microfilm. Washington, D.C. : Library of Congress, . 1 microfilm reel ; 35 mm. On reel with other titles.
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
- An American Ballroom Companion: Dance Instruction Manuals, Ca. 1490 to 1920 (325)
- Books About Music Before 1800 (2,002)
- Music Treasures Consortium: Library of Congress (6,540)
- The Library of Congress Celebrates the Songs of America (52,099)
- Music Division (102,868)
- Library of Congress Online Catalog (1,486,953)
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright or any other restrictions in the materials in this collection.
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
The accompanying videos were produced by the Library of Congress. Note Video Performers for additional credits for video performers.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Music Division.
Performers for the October 1997 Great Hall event: Dancers
Members of The Jonquil Street Foundation, Inc. Ariane Anthony, Thomas Baird, Barbara Barr, Patricia Beaman, Christopher Caines, Charles Garth, James Martin, Maris Wolff. Musicians - members of The Library of Congress Centennial Cotillion Brass Band, Emerson Head and Robert Sheldon, Leaders (Members, Metro Washington D.C. Federation of Musicians Local 161-710, AFM.)
Performers for the Coolidge Auditorium clips: Dancers
Cheryl Stafford and Thomas Baird. Musicians - Boris Gurevitch (piano), Susan Manus (violin).
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Magri, Gennaro, Active 1779. Trattato Teorico-Prattico DI Ballo. [Napoli: V. Orsino, M.DCC.LXXIX, 1779] Image. https://www.loc.gov/item/12012085/.
APA citation style:
Magri, G. (1779) Trattato Teorico-Prattico DI Ballo. [Napoli: V. Orsino, M.DCC.LXXIX] [Image] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/12012085/.
MLA citation style:
Magri, Gennaro, Active 1779. Trattato Teorico-Prattico DI Ballo. [Napoli: V. Orsino, M.DCC.LXXIX, 1779] Image. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/12012085/>.