Book/Printed Material Travels with jottings. From midland to the Pacific.
About this Item
- Travels with jottings. From midland to the Pacific.
- Edward Dwight Holton (1815-1892) was a New Hampshire-born Milwaukee merchant and banker who took his wife and grandson on a rail tour to California in November 1879. Travels with jottings (1880) describes that trip, beginning with the northern part of the state, including San Francisco and its new cable cars, the Cliff House, Oakland, the Santa Clara Valley, Almaden quicksilver mines, San José, the San Joaquín Valley, the Sonoma Valley, Yosemite, and Santa Barbara. In southern California, the Holtons visit Los Angeles and the San Gabriel Valley. Throughout, Holton shows a keen interest in agriculture and industry.
- Holton, E. D. (Edward Dwight), 1815-1892.
Created / Published
- Milwaukee, Trayser brothers, printers, 1880.
- - West (U.S.)--Description and travel
- - California--Description and travel
- - Mines and mineral resources--California
- - Agriculture--California
- - Business--California
- - Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress Web site.
- 94 p. front. (port.) 23 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- F866 .H75
Library of Congress Control Number
- No known restrictions on publication.
- online text
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
"California as I Saw It:" First-Person Narratives of California's Early Years, 1849-1900.
General Notice and Restriction Statement: The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright or any other restrictions in this collection, some content may be protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.), and/or the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Additionally, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by privacy and/or publicity rights.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, [appropriate source division as described in the bibliographic record]. For example: Library of Congress, General Collections; or, Library of Congress, Rare Book and Special Collections Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Holton, E. D. Travels with jottings. From midland to the Pacific. Milwaukee, Trayser brothers, printers, 1880. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/12032356/.
APA citation style:
Holton, E. D. (1880) Travels with jottings. From midland to the Pacific. Milwaukee, Trayser brothers, printers. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/12032356/.
MLA citation style:
Holton, E. D. Travels with jottings. From midland to the Pacific. Milwaukee, Trayser brothers, printers, 1880. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/12032356/>.