Book/Printed Material California: for health, pleasure, and residence. A book for travellers and settlers.
About this Item
- California: for health, pleasure, and residence. A book for travellers and settlers.
- Charles Nordhoff (1830-1901) and his family came to America from Prussia when he was a boy and settled in Cincinnati, Ohio. Winning a reputation as a journalist and writer on the sea, Nordhoff was managing editor of the New York Evening Post, 1861-1871. He spent 1872-1873 travelling to California and Hawaii, and returned east to become the Washington correspondent of the New York Herald. He continued to visit California frequently and spent his last years in Coronado. California: for health, pleasure and residence (1873) was an extremely popular guidebook that persuaded many to settle in California. It opens with descriptions of the various routes available to the traveller to California and the visitor to Yosemite. Next come suggested points of interest; California agriculture (with hints to prospective settlers); and notes on the Southern California climate.
- Nordhoff, Charles, 1830-1901.
Created / Published
- New York, Harper & brothers, 1873.
- - California--Description and travel
- - Urbanization--California
- - Real estate development--California
- - Agriculture--California
- - Business--California
- - Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress Web site.
- 2 p.l., -255 p. incl. illus., pl., maps., front. (map) 23 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- F866 .N825
- F866 .N825 Copy 2 Copy 2.
Library of Congress Control Number
- No known restrictions on publication.
- online text
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
"California as I Saw It:" First-Person Narratives of California's Early Years, 1849-1900.
General Notice and Restriction Statement: The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright or any other restrictions in this collection, some content may be protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.), and/or the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Additionally, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by privacy and/or publicity rights.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, [appropriate source division as described in the bibliographic record]. For example: Library of Congress, General Collections; or, Library of Congress, Rare Book and Special Collections Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Nordhoff, Charles. California: for health, pleasure, and residence. A book for travellers and settlers. New York, Harper & brothers, 1873. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/14022123/.
APA citation style:
Nordhoff, C. (1873) California: for health, pleasure, and residence. A book for travellers and settlers. New York, Harper & brothers. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/14022123/.
MLA citation style:
Nordhoff, Charles. California: for health, pleasure, and residence. A book for travellers and settlers. New York, Harper & brothers, 1873. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/14022123/>.