Book/Printed Material A start in life; a journey across America; fruit farming in California.
About this Item
- A start in life; a journey across America; fruit farming in California.
- English businessman Charles Finch Dowsett (1835 or 1836-1915) travelled across America by rail in 1890 to become an agent for land sales in Merced County, California. A start in life (1891?) is a book-length piece of promotional literature written and published by Dowsett to extol Merced County's virtues, focusing on the prospects for fruit farming in the region. He also describes his cross country rail journey.
- Dowsett, C. F. (Charles Finch), 1835 or 1836-1915.
Created / Published
- London, Dowsett & Co. [1891?]
- - United States--Description and travel
- - California--Description and travel
- - Fruit-culture--California
- - Ethnic groups--California
- - Urbanization--California
- - Real estate development--California
- - Agriculture--California
- - Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress Web site.
- 112 p. map 19 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- E168 .D75
Library of Congress Control Number
- online text
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
"California as I Saw It:" First-Person Narratives of California's Early Years, 1849-1900.
General Notice and Restriction Statement: The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright or any other restrictions in this collection, some content may be protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.), and/or the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Additionally, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by privacy and/or publicity rights.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, [appropriate source division as described in the bibliographic record]. For example: Library of Congress, General Collections; or, Library of Congress, Rare Book and Special Collections Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Dowsett, C. F. , 1835 Or. A start in life; a journey across America; fruit farming in California. [London, Dowsett & Co. ?, 1891] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/17014340/.
APA citation style:
Dowsett, C. F. (1891) A start in life; a journey across America; fruit farming in California. [London, Dowsett & Co. ?] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/17014340/.
MLA citation style:
Dowsett, C. F. , 1835 Or. A start in life; a journey across America; fruit farming in California. [London, Dowsett & Co. ?, 1891] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/17014340/>.