Book/Printed Material Scharmann's overland journey to California : from the pages of a pioneer's diary
About this Item
- Scharmann's overland journey to California : from the pages of a pioneer's diary
- Herman Scharmann left Germany as head of a company of gold-seekers bound for California in 1849. Scharmann's overland journey to California (1918) describes his family's journey from New York to their wagon train in Independence, Missouri, and the trip across the Plains via Fort Kearny and Fort Laramie. When his wife and daughter die shortly after reaching California, Scharmann and two sons push ahead to the gold fields at Feather River and Middle Fork, and the American River and Negro Bar. He offers a brutal picture of the exploitation of emigrant parties and of the drudgery of prospecting and of towns like Marysville, Sacramento, and San Francisco, 1849-1851.
- Scharmann, H. B., 1838-1920.
- Zimmermann, Margaret Hoff.
- Zimmermann, Erich W. (Erich Walter), 1888-1961.
Created / Published
- [n.p., 1918]
- - California--Gold discoveries
- - Overland journeys to the Pacific
- - Frontier and pioneer life--California
- - Ethnic groups--California
- - Reprinted from New Yorker Staats-Zeitung, 1852.
- - Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress Web site.
- - LAC ecr 2019-06-06 update (1 card)
- 114 p. : front. (port.) illus. ; 17 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- F865 .S31
Library of Congress Control Number
- No known restrictions on publication. No copyright registration found.
- online text
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
"California as I Saw It:" First-Person Narratives of California's Early Years, 1849-1900.
General Notice and Restriction Statement: The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright or any other restrictions in this collection, some content may be protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.), and/or the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Additionally, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by privacy and/or publicity rights.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, [appropriate source division as described in the bibliographic record]. For example: Library of Congress, General Collections; or, Library of Congress, Rare Book and Special Collections Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Scharmann, H. B, Margaret Hoff Zimmermann, and Erich W Zimmermann. Scharmann's overland journey to California: from the pages of a pioneer's diary. [N.P, 1918] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/19005305/.
APA citation style:
Scharmann, H. B., Zimmermann, M. H. & Zimmermann, E. W. (1918) Scharmann's overland journey to California: from the pages of a pioneer's diary. [N.P] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/19005305/.
MLA citation style:
Scharmann, H. B, Margaret Hoff Zimmermann, and Erich W Zimmermann. Scharmann's overland journey to California: from the pages of a pioneer's diary. [N.P, 1918] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/19005305/>.