Book/Printed Material The countries and tribes of the Persian Gulf.
About this Item
- The countries and tribes of the Persian Gulf.
- The Countries and Tribes of the Persian Gulf is a collection of the notes of S.B. Miles, longtime British official in the Persian Gulf generally and Oman in particular. They were compiled and published posthumously, first in 1919, and reprinted several times later. This account of Oman's political history is still widely consulted and quoted. Miles covers pre-Islamic history, pointing out that from the very earliest times the inhabitants were masters of maritime commerce. Trade included slaves, spices, gold, precious stones, and textiles from Asia and Africa. Miles consults as well as critiques al-Izkiwi's Kashf al-ghummah (Removing consternation) for the post-Biblical, pre-Islamic story of Oman. The second chapter deals with Islamic Oman and the eastern Arabian Peninsula. He departs from strict narrative based on Kashf al-ghummah and other Arab sources to note that the Prophet Muhammad "is entitled to applause, veneration and gratitude of the world" as a great lawgiver. In the author's view the task of converting Oman's Christian inhabitants to Islam was simplified because Christianity was "weighed down and encumbered by the character and example of some of its churchmen." Miles then covers Persian Gulf trade and politics from the 16th century, as European powers Portugal, Holland, and Britain entered the region, and there is a chapter on the history of Oman's place in the East-West trading patterns from earliest times. He then turns to the Yaruba dynasty, which ruled Oman for about 125 years from 1624. He devotes the second volume to the Bu Saʻid family, which took control of Oman in the 1740s and remains in power. There are also notes on the geologic regions and natural history of Oman. The work ends with descriptions of the Dhofar and Beraimi (present-day Buraimi) areas of the southeastern Arabian Peninsula. Miles was first appointed political agent in Oman by the government of India in the early 1870s and remained in Musqat (also seen as Masqat and Muscat) and other posts in the region until his retirement 20 years later. Countries and Tribes of the Persian Gulf is the fruit of his many travels and observations in the Gulf and his interest in its history and ethnology. World Digital Library.
- Miles, Samuel Barrett, 1838-1914.
Created / Published
- London, Harrison and sons, 1919.
- - Oman--History
- - Oman
- - Persian Gulf
- - Paged continuously.
- 2 v. front. (port.) plates. 26 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- DS247.O6 M4
Library of Congress Control Number
- online text
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Miles, Samuel Barrett. The countries and tribes of the Persian Gulf. London, Harrison and sons, 1919. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/19015476/.
APA citation style:
Miles, S. B. (1919) The countries and tribes of the Persian Gulf. London, Harrison and sons. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/19015476/.
MLA citation style:
Miles, Samuel Barrett. The countries and tribes of the Persian Gulf. London, Harrison and sons, 1919. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/19015476/>.