Film, Video A better America
About this Item
- A better America
- Shows WPA projects being carried out on a nation-wide level during the depression. Includes sewage disposal plants and sewer construction, medical services for the indigent, sewing rooms where women make garments for needy families, education projects, and nursery schools.
- Contributor Names
- Pathe News.
- United States. Works Progress Administration.
- United States. Work Projects Administration.
- U.S. Government Films Collection (Library of Congress)
- Created / Published
- United States : [Pathe News], 1937.
- Subject Headings
- - Public works--United States
- Nonfiction films
- - Copyright: no reg.
- - Summary taken from old LC catalog card, 70-703814.
- - Beginning and ending credits lacking.
- - Source used: M/B/RS preliminary shelflist card; Collections: U.S. Government file.
- - Received: ca. 194?; non-viewing print ; transfer; U.S. Government Films Collection.
- - Received: 10/12/2000 from LC video lab; viewing copy and master; preservation, LWO-36899; U.S. Government Films Collection.
- 1 videocassette of 1 (Digital Betacam) (ca. 10 min.) : sd., b&w ; 1/2 in. viewing copy.
- 1 videocassette of 1 (Betacam SP) (ca. 10 min.) : sd., b&w ; 1/2 in. master.
- 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 10 min., 360 ft.) : sd., b&w ; 16 mm. non-viewing print.
- 1 video file (digital, MPEG-4) (ca. 10 min.) : sd., b&w.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- VAI 1120 (viewing copy)
- VXB 8862 (master)
- FAA 0030 (non-viewing print)
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright or other restrictions in the vast majority of motion pictures in these collections. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse.
In rare cases, copyrighted motion pictures are made available by special permission to the Library and may be used only for educational purposes. For example, the Gershwin home movies fall within this category. Rights assessment is your responsibility. No registration information exists for some titles, and reproduction of some titles may be restricted by privacy rights, publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Additionally, some works may still be protected by copyright in the United States or some foreign countries. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. You should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist you in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items for their desired uses. You should also consult restrictions associated with donations to the Library.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Pathe News, United States Works Progress Administration, United States Work Projects Administration, and U.S. Government Films Collection. A better America. [United States: Pathe News, 1937] Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/2001642615/.
APA citation style:
Pathe News, United States Works Progress Administration, United States Work Projects Administration & U.S. Government Films Collection. (1937) A better America. [United States: Pathe News] [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2001642615/.
MLA citation style:
Pathe News, et al. A better America. [United States: Pathe News, 1937] Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2001642615/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoA better New York
Better New York State Shows WPA projects in New York State, including reservoir construction, improvement of parks and recreation facilities, and employment of trained technicians and clerical workers for the Bureau of Criminal Investigation of the...
- Contributor: U.S. Government Films Collection (Library of Congress) - Pathe News - United States. Works Progress Administration - United States. Work Projects Administration
- Date: 1937
Film, VideoBlack marketing
Black market "US government OPA film dramatizes beef black marketeers"--Summary from J. Fred MacDonald and Associates film inventory.
- Contributor: U.S. Government Films Collection (Library of Congress) - United States. Office of War Information
- Date: 1943
Film, VideoThe calls that cure Shows the telephone center and the bedside telephone service in a U. S. Army hospital. Discusses the beneficial effects on the soldiers of receiving telephone calls from home, and advises families at...
- Contributor: U.S. Government Films Collection (Library of Congress) - American Telephone and Telegraph Company - United States. Office of War Information
- Date: 1945
Film, VideoCarry the fight Combating submarines in the Atlantic during the war.
- Contributor: United States. Coast Guard - U.S. Government Films Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 1943
Film, VideoThe arm behind the Army Contrasts America's free industrial labor force with the subjugation of laborers in countries overtaken by Axis powers. Stresses the fact that World War II is the war of industry and labor.
- Contributor: United States. War Department - U.S. Government Films Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 1943