Manuscript/Mixed Material Yangzhou Fu tu shuo. 揚州府圖說.
About this Item
- Yangzhou Fu tu shuo.
- Following the map of Yangzhou, there are 11 more maps, including Jiangdu, Guazhou, Yizhen, Qinxing, Gaoyou, Xinghua, Baoying, Qinzhou, Rugao, Tongzhou, and Haimen. Each map has a commentary appended. Some records of the changes and migration in these counties are more detailed than those in other history books. In addition, there is a record of the 1533 Japanese invasion. The writing style of the characters in the Tongzhou illustration suggest that the book may have been written in the period of Emperor Wanli (1573-1620).
- The album, by an unknown artist, contains twelve illustrations depicting Yangzhou Prefecture and the eleven counties of Jiangdu, Guazhou, Yizhen, Qinxing, Gaoyou, Xinghua, Baoying, Qinzhou, Rugao, Tongzhou, and Haimen. Each illustration is followed by an essay on the history of the county depicted. Situated along the Grand Canal and close to the Yangtze River, Yangzhou had been a leading economic and cultural center and major trading port since the Tang dynasty. This work provides both textual and visual testimony to its place in history. The information in the county histories sheds light on events that are otherwise unknown from the existing historical record. One of the essays records the incident involving Japanese pirates that took place in the 33rd year of the Jiajing reign (1554). Based on the date given in the essay Tongzhou tu shuo (Illustrated history of Tongzhou), as well as the calligraphic style of the writing, the album can be dated to the Wanli period (1573-1620) of the Ming dynasty. World Digital Library.
- Chinese Rare Book Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- [Ming Wanli i.e. between 1573 and 1620]
- - Shi bu--Di li lei--Fang zhi
- - Yangzhou Shi (China)--Maps
- - 史部--地理類--方志
- - 扬州市 (China)
- - Ms.
- - Also available in digital form.
- - Unnumbered folded leaves in case.
- - 不著撰人姓氏。圖用彩繪，府圖後為江都瓜州儀真秦興高郵興化寶應泰州如〓通州海門，都十二圖，各圖之後，附說一篇。說敘沿革，稱明為「國朝」。通州圖說云：「往甲寅，倭夷犯順」，此指嘉靖三十三年事也。又海門圖說云：「其縣治薄蝕江海，迨國朝凡日徙」，攷明史卷四十地理志，記「正德七年徙治餘中場，嘉靖二十四年八月遷於金沙場」，光緖海門聽圖志因之，均僅二徙，其不詳年月之二徙，不知在嘉靖二十四年之前或後也。茲以通州圖說所記年月並寫本字體推之，改纂寫於萬曆間.
- - 書名據"前言".
- - 無框欄, 12行.
- - 《中國善本書提要》, p. 193
- 1 v. : color maps ; 38 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Chinese Rare Book Collection. Yangzhou Fu tu shuo. [Ming wanli i.e. between 1573 and 1620, 1573] Manuscript/Mixed Material. https://www.loc.gov/item/2001708631/.
APA citation style:
Chinese Rare Book Collection. (1573) Yangzhou Fu tu shuo. [Ming wanli i.e. between 1573 and 1620] [Manuscript/Mixed Material] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2001708631/.
MLA citation style:
Chinese Rare Book Collection. Yangzhou Fu tu shuo. [Ming wanli i.e. between 1573 and 1620, 1573] Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2001708631/>.