Manuscript/Mixed Material Risālah-ʼi Khiradʹnāmah-ʼi Amīrī رسالۀ خردنامۀ اميرى / / Khiradʹnāmah-ʼi Amīrī
About this Item
- Risālah-ʼi Khiradʹnāmah-ʼi Amīrī
- رسالۀ خردنامۀ اميرى /
- Khiradʹnāmah-ʼi Amīrī
- Poems written in praise of ʻAbdurraḥmān K̲h̲ān̲, the Amir of Afghanistan.
- Risālah-ʼi Khiradʹnāmah-ʼi Amīrī (Epistle of princely wisdom) is a short work written in the form of a commentary on what apparently are the musings of the Afghan ruler 'Abd al-Rahman Khan (reigned 1880-1901) on the topic of 'aql (intellect). 'Abd al-Rahman's observations concern both the variability in the allocation of reason and intellect in humanity, as well as the divine reasons for this unequal distribution. 'Abd al-Rahman ends his short treatise with the declaration that regardless of any particular individual's intellectual gifts, there exist in each period true sages whose authority should be recognized by all. The author of the commentary, ʻAbd al-Ra'uf (died 1915), includes the hadiths and other Arabic sources, as well as poems in Persian in his somewhat ingratiating and lengthy commentary. 'Abd al-Rahman's original text, which amounts to no more than two pages, is highlighted in red ink, while ʻAbd al-Ra'uf's commentary is presented in black. The book was completed in Muharram 1304 AH (October-November 1886) and is in manuscript form. The text is written on a light-cream paper in a nasta'liq script with black ink. Some of the poems are in red ink. World Digital Library.
- Qandahārī, ʻAbd al-Raʼūf, 1850-1915
Created / Published
- 1306 
- - Manuscripts, Persian--Washington (D.C.)
- - Afghanistan
- - Manuscript.
- - Nastalīq script; 10 lines in written area 21 x 13.5 cm.
- - Paper is light cream; black ink with some poems in red ink.
- - Probably written in Afghanistan.
- - Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress Web site.
- - In Persian.
- - Acquire for LC only.
- 58 unnumbered pages (10 lines) bound ; 22 cm
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The contents of the Library of Congress Persian Language Manuscript Project are in the public domain or have no known copyright restrictions and are free to use and reuse.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, African and Middle East Division, Near East Section Persian Manuscript Collection
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Qandahārī, ʻAbd Al-RaʼŪf. Risālah-ʼi Khiradʹnāmah-ʼi Amīrī.  Manuscript/Mixed Material. https://www.loc.gov/item/2002341378/.
APA citation style:
Qandahārī, ʻ. A. (1888) Risālah-ʼi Khiradʹnāmah-ʼi Amīrī. [Manuscript/Mixed Material] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2002341378/.
MLA citation style:
Qandahārī, ʻAbd Al-RaʼŪf. Risālah-ʼi Khiradʹnāmah-ʼi Amīrī.  Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2002341378/>.