Maps The new naval and military map of the United States
About this Item
- The new naval and military map of the United States
- Contributor Names
- Smith, J. Calvin (John Calvin)
- Baker, J.
- Smith, Robert Pearsall, 1827-1898.
- Created / Published
- Philadelphia : J. Baker, 
- Subject Headings
- - United States--Maps
- - United States
- - Also covers southern Canada, Mexico, Central America, and the West Indies.
- - Relief shown by hachures.
- - "Entered according to Act of Congress in the year 1862 by Robert P. Smith ..."
- - Prime meridians: Washington and Greenwich.
- - LC Civil War maps (2nd ed.), 32.6
- - Includes state/county population (1860 census) tables, view of Washington, various Civil War scenes, time difference table, "table of air-line distances," 3 profiles, and portraits of prominent Union military personnel along decorative border.
- - Insets: Fall of rain and mean annual temperature with the mountains, plains & river systems of the United States -- Map of the world on Mercators projection -- Map showing the distribution of the slave and free colored population of the United States -- Map showing the distribution of staples in colors with the principle articles of export marked in the states severally, also the distribution of plants, trees, and animals.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - Sectioned and mounted on cardboard.
- - Copy imperfect: Small sections along edges of map missing; worn along fold lines.
- 1 map on 4 sheets : hand col. ; 174 x 174 cm., each sheet 87 x 87 cm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- G3700 1862 .S6 Oversize
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Smith, J. Calvin, J Baker, and Robert Pearsall Smith. The new naval and military map of the United States. [Philadelphia: J. Baker, 1862] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2002622889/. (Accessed February 24, 2017.)
APA citation style:
Smith, J. C., Baker, J. & Smith, R. P. (1862) The new naval and military map of the United States. [Philadelphia: J. Baker] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2002622889/.
MLA citation style:
Smith, J. Calvin, J Baker, and Robert Pearsall Smith. The new naval and military map of the United States. [Philadelphia: J. Baker, 1862] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/2002622889/>.