Maps The Mississippi
About this Item
- The Mississippi
- Contributor Names
- Franquelin, Jean Baptiste Louis.
- Joliet, Louis, 1645-1700.
- Created / Published
- [ca. 1682]
- Subject Headings
- - Mississippi River Region--Maps, Manuscript--Early works to 1800
- - Indians of North America--Mississippi River Region--Maps--Early works to 1800
- - United States--Mississippi River Region
- - Relief shown pictorially.
- - Shows trees, animals, and names of the Indian nations.
- - Pen-and-ink and watercolor; detached from paper and mounted on cloth backing.
- - "This is the copy of a sketch of the Mississippi River and country, contained in a manuscript map ... has the following title Carte génerale de la France septentrionale, contenant dans la dʹecouverte du pays des Ilinois ... made by the Sieur Jolliet ... our present map ... is one of the first French maps of the Mississippi River ever made, if not the very first one itself."
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - Includes a discussion of the origin, significance, and contents of the map.
- - In upper left corner: 229.
- 1 map : ms., col. ; 52 x 35 cm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- G4042.M5 1682 .F7
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
ContributorsFranquelin, Jean Baptiste Louis
LocationMississippi River Region
Mississippi River Region
SubjectsEarly Works to 1800
Indians of North America
Mississippi River Region
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Franquelin, Jean Baptiste Louis, and Louis Joliet. The Mississippi.  Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2002626428/. (Accessed January 23, 2017.)
APA citation style:
Franquelin, J. B. L. & Joliet, L. (1682) The Mississippi. [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2002626428/.
MLA citation style:
Franquelin, Jean Baptiste Louis, and Louis Joliet. The Mississippi.  Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/2002626428/>.