Maps Map illustrating the extermination of the American bison
About this Item
- Map illustrating the extermination of the American bison
- Contributor Names
- Hornaday, William T. (William Temple), 1854-1937.
- Created / Published
- [Washington : Govt. Print. Off., 1889]
- Subject Headings
- - American bison--Mortality--North America--Maps
- - American bison--North America--Geographical distribution--Maps
- - American bison hunting--North America--History--Maps
- - North America
- - Shows areas of die-off and of systematic extermination, range of herds up to 1889, and years of extermination in specific locations.
- - Relief shown by shading.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - Vol. published in 1889, 1887 is the year of the Annual Report.
- 1 map : col. ; 50 x 39 cm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- Q11 .U5 1887
- G3301.D4 1889
- Source Collection
- Issued with: United States. National Museum. Annual report of the Board of regents of the Smithsonian institution ... Report, 1887
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Library of Congress Online Catalog
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Hornaday, William T. Map illustrating the extermination of the American bison. [Washington: Govt. Print. Off, 1889] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2002628195/. (Accessed September 28, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Hornaday, W. T. (1889) Map illustrating the extermination of the American bison. [Washington: Govt. Print. Off] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2002628195/.
MLA citation style:
Hornaday, William T. Map illustrating the extermination of the American bison. [Washington: Govt. Print. Off, 1889] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/2002628195/>.