Photo, Print, Drawing Chief Joseph, Nez Percé
About this Item
- Chief Joseph, Nez Percé
- Chief Joseph, half-length portrait, seated, facing slightly left, wearing headdress.
- Contributor Names
- Gill, De Lancey, 1859-1940, photographer
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Joseph,--Nez Percé Chief,--1840-1914
- - Tribal chiefs--1900
- - Headdresses--1900
- Photographic prints--1900.
- Portrait photographs--1900.
- Portrait photographs--1900
- Photographic prints--1900
- - Photograph attributed to De Lancey Gill.
- - Forms part of: Frank and Frances Carpenter Collection (Library of Congress).
- - Exhibited as a digital copy in: "Not an Ostrich: And Other Images from America's Library" at the Annenberg Space for Photography, 2018; Portrait section.
- - Annenberg batch 12
- 1 photographic print.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- LOT 12978 [item] [P&P]
- Source Collection
- Portraits of Nez Percé Chief Joseph
- Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print
- Digital Id
- ppmsca 51819 //hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ppmsca.51819
- cph 3c32047 //hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/cph.3c32047
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Reproduction Number
- LC-DIG-ppmsca-51819 (digital file from original) LC-USZ62-132047 (b&w film copy neg.)
- Rights Advisory
- No known restrictions on publication.
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
- Rights Advisory: No known restrictions on publication.
- Reproduction Number: LC-DIG-ppmsca-51819 (digital file from original) LC-USZ62-132047 (b&w film copy neg.)
- Call Number: LOT 12978 [item] [P&P]
- Access Advisory: ---
If an image is displaying, you can download it yourself. (Some images display only as thumbnails outside the Library of Congress because of rights considerations, but you have access to larger size images on site.)
Alternatively, you can purchase copies of various types through Library of Congress Duplication Services.
- If a digital image is displaying: The qualities of the digital image partially depend on whether it was made from the original or an intermediate such as a copy negative or transparency. If the Reproduction Number field above includes a reproduction number that starts with LC-DIG..., then there is a digital image that was made directly from the original and is of sufficient resolution for most publication purposes.
If there is information listed in the Reproduction Number field above:
You can use the reproduction number to purchase a copy from Duplication Services. It will be
made from the source listed in the parentheses after the number.
If only black-and-white ("b&w") sources are listed and you desire a copy showing color or tint (assuming the original has any), you can generally purchase a quality copy of the original in color by citing the Call Number listed above and including the catalog record ("About This Item") with your request.
- If there is no information listed in the Reproduction Number field above: You can generally purchase a quality copy through Duplication Services. Cite the Call Number listed above and include the catalog record ("About This Item") with your request.
Price lists, contact information, and order forms are available on the Duplication Services Web site.
Access to Originals
Please use the following steps to determine whether you need to fill out a call slip in the Prints and Photographs Reading Room to view the original item(s). In some cases, a surrogate (substitute image) is available, often in the form of a digital image, a copy print, or microfilm.
Is the item digitized? (A thumbnail (small) image will be visible on the left.)
Yes, the item is digitized.
Please use the digital image in preference to requesting the original. All images can be
viewed at a large size when you are in any reading room at the Library of Congress. In some
cases, only thumbnail (small) images are available when you are outside the Library of
Congress because the item is rights restricted or has not been evaluated for rights
As a preservation measure, we generally do not serve an original item when a digital image is available. If you have a compelling reason to see the original, consult with a reference librarian. (Sometimes, the original is simply too fragile to serve. For example, glass and film photographic negatives are particularly subject to damage. They are also easier to see online where they are presented as positive images.)
- No, the item is not digitized. Please go to #2.
- Yes, the item is digitized. Please use the digital image in preference to requesting the original. All images can be viewed at a large size when you are in any reading room at the Library of Congress. In some cases, only thumbnail (small) images are available when you are outside the Library of Congress because the item is rights restricted or has not been evaluated for rights restrictions.
Do the Access Advisory or Call Number fields above indicate that a non-digital surrogate exists, such as microfilm or copy prints?
- Yes, another surrogate exists. Reference staff can direct you to this surrogate.
- No, another surrogate does not exist. Please go to #3.
- If you do not see a thumbnail image or a reference to another surrogate, please fill out a call slip in the Prints and Photographs Reading Room. In many cases, the originals can be served in a few minutes. Other materials require appointments for later the same day or in the future. Reference staff can advise you in both how to fill out a call slip and when the item can be served.
To contact Reference staff in the Prints and Photographs Reading Room, please use our Ask A Librarian service or call the reading room between 8:30 and 5:00 at 202-707-6394, and Press 3.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Gill, De Lancey, photographer. Chief Joseph, Nez Percé. , 1900. Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2002719520/.
APA citation style:
Gill, D. L., photographer. (1900) Chief Joseph, Nez Percé. , 1900. [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2002719520/.
MLA citation style:
Gill, De Lancey, photographer. Chief Joseph, Nez Percé. Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2002719520/>.
More Photos, Prints, Drawings like this
CollectionPortraits of Nez Percé Chief Joseph 5 photoprints : 4 gelatin silver and 1 albumen ; 20 x 13 cm. or smaller. | Portraits of Chief Joseph standing near river, wearing feather headdress and holding rifle; standing with...
- Date: 1877
Photo, Print, Drawing[Mountain Chief, half-length portrait, facing front, wearing feathered headdress with ermine tails, medal, and beaded buckskin ... 1 photographic print.
- Date: 1916
Photo, Print, DrawingChief Wets It, Assinaboine [i.e., Assiniboin] 1 photographic print. | Photo shows Chief Wets It, half-length portrait, facing slightly left, wearing a horn headdress.
- Date: 1898
Photo, Print, DrawingAntelope Cap 1 photographic print. | Antelope Cap, head-and-shoulders portrait, right profile.
- Contributor: Curtis, Edward S.
- Date: 1905
Photo, Print, Drawing[Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt, also known as Chief Joseph, Nez Percé chief, in traditional dress] 1 photograph : gelatin silver print ; sheet 22 x 17 cm. | 1 photographic print.
- Date: 1900