Map [Map of the complete island of Cuba]. Cuba
About this Item
- [Map of the complete island of Cuba].
- "Joan Vinckeboons (1617-70) was a Dutch cartographer and engraver born into a family of artists of Flemish origin. He was in the employ of the Dutch West India Company and for more than 30 years produced maps for use by Dutch mercantile and military shipping. He was a business partner of Joan Blaeu, one of the most important map and atlas publishers of the day. Vinckeboons drew a series of 200 manuscript maps that were used in the production of atlases, including Blaeu's Atlas Major. This circa 1639 map of Cuba includes the coastline, coastal features, soundings, navigational hazards, settlements, streams, pictorial representation of relief, and numerous rhumb lines used for navigation. The map was once part of a manuscript atlas belonging to the Dutch firm of Gerard Hulst van Keulen, which published sea atlases and pilots for over two centuries. With the demise of the firm, the atlas was acquired and broken up by the Amsterdam book dealer Frederik Muller, who in 1887 sold 13 maps from the atlas attributed to Vinckeboons to the collector and bibliographer Henry Harrisse. The map is part of the Henry Harrisse Collection in the Library of Congress." World Digital Library.
- Vinckeboons, Joan.
Created / Published
- - Cuba--Maps, Manuscript--Early works to 1800
- - Cuba--Discovery and exploration--Maps, Manuscript--Early works to 1800
- - Cuba
- - Attributed to Joan Vinckeboons by comparison with his other Dutch maps in Henry Harrisse collection.
- - Described in Terrae incognitae, v. xvi, 1984. Richard W. Stephenson's The Henry Harrisse collection ... , p. 40; the first volume has binder's title "Manuscript maps of the West-Indies drawn by Joan Vingboons in 1639."
- - Pen-and-ink and watercolor.
- - Relief shown pictorially. Depths shown by soundings.
- - Shows coastal features, settlements on Cuba, and islands.
- - LC Luso-Hispanic world, 300
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- 1 ms. map : col., paper backing ; 50 x 85 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- G3291.S12 coll .H3
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The materials in The Atlantic World: America and the Netherlands are in the public domain or have no known copyright restrictions and are free to use and reuse.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, The Atlantic World: America and the Netherlands.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Vinckeboons, Joan. Map of the complete island of Cuba. [?, 1639] Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2003623399/.
APA citation style:
Vinckeboons, J. (1639) Map of the complete island of Cuba. [?] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2003623399/.
MLA citation style:
Vinckeboons, Joan. Map of the complete island of Cuba. [?, 1639] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2003623399/>.