Maps [Map of Atlantic Coast of North America from the Chesapeake Bay to Florida].
About this Item
- [Map of Atlantic Coast of North America from the Chesapeake Bay to Florida].
- Contributor Names
- Vinckeboons, Joan.
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Atlantic coast (North America)--Maps, Manuscript--Early works to 1800
- - Atlantic coast (North America)--Discovery and exploration--Maps, Manuscript--Early works to 1800
- - Coasts--Southern States--Maps--Early works to 1800
- - Chesapeake Bay (Md. and Va.)--Maps, Manuscript--Early works to 1800
- - North America--Atlantic coast
- - United States--Southern States
- - United States--Maryland--Chesapeake Bay
- - United States--Virginia--Chesapeake Bay
- - Shows coastal features, Native American nations and settlements, and other geographical entities.
- - Pen-and-ink and watercolor.
- - Attributed to Joan Vinckeboons by comparison with his other Dutch maps in Henry Harrisse collection.
- - Described in Terrae incognitae, v. xvi, 1984. Richard W. Stephenson's The Henry Harrisse collection ... , p. 40; the second volume has binder's title "Manuscript maps Atlantic Coast and California drawn by Joan Vingboons in 1639."
- - LC Luso-Hispanic world, 817
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - Copy annotated in pencil in upper right margin.
- 1 ms. map : col., paper backing ; 50 x 71 cm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- G3291.S12 coll .H3
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Library of Congress Online Catalog
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
Atlantic Coast (north America)
Chesapeake Bay (md. And Va.)
Discovery and Exploration
Early Works to 1800
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Vinckeboons, Joan. [Map of Atlantic Coast of North America from the Chesapeake Bay to Florida]. [?, 1639] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2003623403/. (Accessed August 31, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Vinckeboons, J. (1639) [Map of Atlantic Coast of North America from the Chesapeake Bay to Florida]. [?] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2003623403/.
MLA citation style:
Vinckeboons, Joan. [Map of Atlantic Coast of North America from the Chesapeake Bay to Florida]. [?, 1639] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/2003623403/>.