Map [Portolan chart of the Mediterranean Sea ca. 1320-1350 : manuscript chart of the Mediterranean and Black seas on vellum].
About this Item
- [Portolan chart of the Mediterranean Sea ca. 1320-1350 : manuscript chart of the Mediterranean and Black seas on vellum].
- Created / Published
- [between 1320 and 1350]
- Subject Headings
- - Coasts--Mediterranean Sea--Maps--Early works to 1800
- - Coasts--Black Sea--Maps--Early works to 1800
- - Harbors--Mediterranean Sea--Maps--Early works to 1800
- - Harbors--Black Sea--Maps--Early works to 1800
- - Mediterranean Sea--Maps--Early works to 1800
- - Black Sea--Maps--Early works to 1800
- - Mediterranean Sea
- - Black Sea
- Manuscript maps
- Portolan charts
- Early maps
- - Anonymous nautical chart in portolan style probably drawn in Genoa.
- - Covers Mediterranean Sea from the Balearic Islands to the Levantine coast; also covers western part of Black Sea.
- - Oldest original cartographic artifact in the Library of Congress.
- - Title from printed label on box in which the map is housed.
- - Pen-and-ink (red/green/brown).
- - Matted and mounted between sheets of transparent lucite.
- - Sheet cut into the shape of an irregular rectangle.
- - Imperfect: Vertically fold-lined at center, cracked, annotated in pencil on verso.
- - Includes bar scale with unidentified divisions.
- - The green rhumb lines on the recto are also visible on the verso.
- - LC Nautical charts on vellum 3
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - Purchase; Ludwig Rosenthal, Munich; 1914.
- 1 ms. map : vellum ; 43 x 59 cm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- G5672.M4P5 13-- .P6
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
- IIIF Presentation Manifest
- Manifest (JSON/LD)
Rights and Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Electronic Sources on the Learning Page.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Portolan Chart of the Mediterranean Sea Ca. 1320 to 1350: Manuscript Chart of the Mediterranean and Black Seas on Vellum. [Between 1320 and 1350, 1320] Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2003630429/.
APA citation style:
(1320) Portolan Chart of the Mediterranean Sea Ca. 1320 to 1350: Manuscript Chart of the Mediterranean and Black Seas on Vellum. [Between 1320 and 1350] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2003630429/.
MLA citation style:
Portolan Chart of the Mediterranean Sea Ca. 1320 to 1350: Manuscript Chart of the Mediterranean and Black Seas on Vellum. [Between 1320 and 1350, 1320] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2003630429/>.
More Maps like this
Map[Portolan chart of the Mediterranean, the Black Sea, and the coasts of Europe and northwest Africa]. Portolan chart with seaport names given for all coastlines. Title devised by cataloguer. Contains 4 compass roses in a circle centered in Italy to the north of Rome and half of a...
- Date: 15??
Map[Portolan chart of the Mediterranean Sea, the Black Sea, the coasts of western Europe and North ... Title provided by cataloger. Pen-and-ink and gouache. Matted and mounted between sheets of transparent lucite, 76 x 102 cm. Irregularly shaped, with neck to the left. Includes bar scales with unidentified divisions...
- Contributor: Olives, Jaume
- Date: 1550
Map[Manuscript copy of 1367 manuscript chart of the Mediterranean, with the Black and Caspian Seas, and ... Title provided by cataloger. Manuscript copy of the manuscript original in the Biblioteca Palatina of Parma (Ms.Parm.1612). Pen-and-ink and gouache on two sheets of vellum. Includes illustrations. LC Nautical charts on vellum,...
- Contributor: Pizigano, Francesco - Sardi, Agostinho
- Date: 1367
Map[Portolan atlas of the Mediterranean Sea, northwest Europe, and northwest Africa] Title supplied by cataloger. Pen-and-ink on vellum. Statement of responsibility from leaf 8, the map of the Black Sea. Bound in red velvet. LC Nautical charts on vellum, 11 Available also through...
- Contributor: Scotto, Giacomo
- Date: 1590
Map[Portolan chart of the Mediterranean and Black Seas with the west coast of Spain and Portugal] Portolan chart with seaport names given for all coastlines. Title provided by cataloguer. Fragmentary signature on upper right portion leading into neck reads "Io Placid...". Oriented with north to the right (indicated...
- Contributor: Oliva, Placido
- Date: 158?