Maps [Battlefield in front of Franklin, Tenn., November 30th, 1864].
About this Item
- [Battlefield in front of Franklin, Tenn., November 30th, 1864].
- Contributor Names
- Merrill, W. E. (William Emery), 1837-1891.
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Franklin (Tenn.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - Franklin (Tenn.)--Maps, Manuscript
- - Franklin (Tenn.)--Maps, Topographic
- - Franklin, Battle of, Franklin, Tenn., 1864--Maps, Manuscript
- - United States--Tennessee--Franklin
- - Franklin, Battle of, Franklin, Tenn
- - Unfinished topographic map showing troop positions, roads, railroads, buildings, rural householders' names, fences, streams, vegetation, and streets of town of Franklin.
- - Relief shown by hachures and form lines.
- - Title from R.W. Stephenson's Civil War maps, 1989.
- - Probable preliminary drawing for the 1874 printed map of the same area which is "Compiled under the direction of Col. W.E. Merrill".
- - Pen-and-ink (black/blue/red/brown), wash (brown), and lead pencil.
- - Mounted on cloth backing.
- - Watermark: J. Whatman 1865.
- - Imperfect: Scattered water stains, halved for folding.
- - Includes block-lettered lead-pencil annotation at lower right: [Battlefield in front of Franklin, Tenn., Nov. 30/64 1874?].
- - LC Civil War maps (2nd ed.), 422
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- 1 ms. map : col. ; on sheet 99 x 66 cm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- G3964.F7S5 1874 .M4
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Library of Congress Online Catalog
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
ContributorsMerrill, W. E.
Merrill, W. E. (william Emery)
Franklin, Battle Of, Franklin, Tenn
Franklin, Battle Of, Franklin, Tenn.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Merrill, W. E. [Battlefield in front of Franklin, Tenn., November 30th, 1864]. [?, 1864] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2003630453/. (Accessed August 28, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Merrill, W. E. (1864) [Battlefield in front of Franklin, Tenn., November 30th, 1864]. [?] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2003630453/.
MLA citation style:
Merrill, W. E. [Battlefield in front of Franklin, Tenn., November 30th, 1864]. [?, 1864] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/2003630453/>.