Maps Hydrographic reconnaissance of James River, Virginia, from entrance to City Point
About this Item
- Hydrographic reconnaissance of James River, Virginia, from entrance to City Point
- Contributor Names
- United States Coast Survey.
- Muse, W. T.
- Wainwright, R. (Richard), 1817-1862.
- Maffitt, John Newland, 1819-1886.
- Created / Published
- [Washington, D.C.] : U.S. Coast Survey, 
- Subject Headings
- - Nautical charts--Virginia--James River Estuary
- - James River Estuary (Va.)--Maps
- - United States--Virginia--James River Estuary
- Bathymetric maps
- - General nautical chart.
- - Depths shown by soundings and contours.
- - At head of title: A.D. Bache Supt.
- - Copy 1 is hand col. in blue watercolor to show shallow waters, in red and black inks to show buoys, in pink ink to show "Stn." area outlines, and in black-ink handwriting (printing) to show "Stn." area names. Copy 2 in not col. or annotated.
- - In upper margin: Autographic transfer, July 1862.
- - Imperfect: Copy 1 halved, mounted on cloth backing; copy 2 torn.
- - LC Civil War maps (2nd ed.), 559.4
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - Includes text of "Sailing directions", note, tide table, and magnetic variation table.
- 1 map : hand col. ; 70 x 102 cm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- G3882.J3P5 1859 .U5
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Library of Congress Online Catalog
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
United States Coast Survey, W. T Muse, R Wainwright, and John Newland Maffitt. Hydrographic reconnaissance of James River, Virginia, from entrance to City Point. [Washington, D.C.: U.S. Coast Survey, 1854] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2003630501/. (Accessed October 26, 2016.)
APA citation style:
United States Coast Survey, Muse, W. T., Wainwright, R. & Maffitt, J. N. (1854) Hydrographic reconnaissance of James River, Virginia, from entrance to City Point. [Washington, D.C.: U.S. Coast Survey] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2003630501/.
MLA citation style:
United States Coast Survey, et al. Hydrographic reconnaissance of James River, Virginia, from entrance to City Point. [Washington, D.C.: U.S. Coast Survey, 1854] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/2003630501/>.