Manuscript/Mixed Material Mu shi zong pu 木氏宗譜 / / Mu shi huan pu
About this Item
- Mu shi zong pu
- 木氏宗譜 /
- Mu shi huan pu
- Joseph Rock invited painters who were Mu family relatives to reproduce Mu family ancestors' portraits in accordance with style of the original illustrations; included are portraits of chiefs of the Mu tribe in Lijiang, Yunnan Province, from the first to the thirty-third generation.
- This work is a faithful copy, by a painter of the Mu clan commissioned by Joseph Rock, to reproduce ancestral portraits that had been handed down through the ages. The body of the work records the Tusi Mu of Lijiang in Yunnan from the 1st through the 33rd generations. Rock (1884-1962) was an explorer, adventurer, and scientist who was born in Austria and later became a U.S. citizen. He spent much of his life in remote areas of western China, sponsored at different times by National Geographic, Harvard University's Arnold Arboretum, the U.S. Department of Agriculture, and the University of Hawaii. Rock made major contributions to the Asian collections of the Library of Congress. World Digital Library.
- Yang, Shen, 1488-1559.
- Chen, Zhaotang, ju ren 1818.
- Cao, Yongxian, active 19th century.
- Rock, Joseph F. (Joseph Francis), 1884-1962.
Created / Published
- [China : s.n., 1931?]
- - Mu family
- - Lijiang Diqu (China)--History
- - Ethnology--China
- - Manchus--Genealogy
- - China--Genealogy
- - 麗江地區 (China)--History
- - Other title from "mu shi chcn pu hou xu"
- - "I herewith certify that this is a true copy of the historical records of the Nahsi kings now in the possession of the descendants of these kings, the present Mu family, residing in Likiang, Yunnan, China. Likiang, May 14th 1931. Joseph Rock"--At end of hand-written page.
- - Title from case.
- - Also available in digital form.
- - "是正本文麗江世襲木土司歷代紀錄文 ... 民國二十年陰歷三月二十七日"--末葉題.
- - "木氏宦譜序 ... 嘉靖貳拾肆年 ... 楊慎書"--Pref.
- - "木氏宦譜後序 ... 升菴修其姓氏譜牒 ... 我朝化行無外, 麗江置府, 於是木氏降, 襲土通判, 繼以至於今, 又凡幾世 ... 統而溯之, 蓋幾四十傳矣 ... 擇其尤著者, 各系以詩 ... 作為後序, 書而歸其嗣木漢, 使永藏之 ... 道光辛丑 ... 陳釗鏜序 ... 年樂年保為祿麥, 不傳族而傳賢, 大哉! 宜麗江之昌也 ... 帝王之裔, 降輿臺茅土之家 ... 年且二千, 世殆三十 ... 同治乙丑 ... 曹永賢跋後序"--Postscript.
- - 本書一圖一文, 共30圖 (其中第28代木漢重複, 故此實得29代之肖像), 另第30-33代有文無圖.
- - Other title from "木氏宦譜後序"
- 1 case (unpaged folded leaves) : col. ports. ; 53 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- CS1169 .M8 1931
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Yang, Shen, Zhaotang Chen, Yongxian Cao, and Joseph F Rock. Mu Shi Zong Pu. [China: s.n., ?, 1931] Manuscript/Mixed Material. https://www.loc.gov/item/2004532109/.
APA citation style:
Yang, S., Chen, Z., Cao, Y. & Rock, J. F. (1931) Mu Shi Zong Pu. [China: s.n., ?] [Manuscript/Mixed Material] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2004532109/.
MLA citation style:
Yang, Shen, et al. Mu Shi Zong Pu. [China: s.n., ?, 1931] Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2004532109/>.