Book/Printed Material [Genji monogatari] [源氏物語]
Show more resources (47)
About this Item
- [Genji monogatari]
- The tale of Genji
- Genji monogatari (Tale of Genji) is often considered the first great novel in world literature. The author of the work, Murasaki Shibuku, was born around 978 and spent most of her life at or near the imperial court in Kyoto. After a brief marriage to an older man, she entered the service of Empress Akiko (or Shōshi) around 1005 as a lady-in-waiting. The novel consists of 54 books or chapters that recount the life and romances of Prince Genji, the young, handsome, and talented son of an emperor. The novel is remarkable for its elegant style, complex portrayals of characters, and descriptions of human emotions. The author's real name is unknown (she was known as Tō no Shikibu during her lifetime and came to be called Murasaki Shibuku after her death), as are her method of composition and the exact date when the work was written. This illustrated, woodblock print edition is from the collections of the Library of Congress. Produced in Kyoto in the mid-17th century, it is a complete and well-preserved set that includes the main text and six additional volumes: three volumes of commentary on key words and phrases in the text (Meyasu), a genealogy (Keizu), a sequel to the work by a later author (Yamaji no tsuyu ), and an index (Hikiuta). World Digital Library.
- Murasaki Shikibu, 978?-
- Yamamoto, Shunshō, 1610-1682
- Japanese Rare Book Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- Rakuyō [Kyoto] : Yao Kanbē kaihan, Jōō 3 
- - On double leaves, oriental style (fukurotoji).
- - Original vol. numbers on title pieces transcribed in table of contents after chapter title in parentheses.
- - Sakanishi collection.
- - Title from Kokusho sōmokuroku.
- - Volume numbers assigned according to traditional sequence. Cf. Nihon koten bungaku daijiten.
- - With no borders, text in 11 vertical lines.
- - Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress Web site.
- - "永正元稔  ... 台嶺末学權僧正"--First postscript; "謬誤必多 ... 正焉 ... 慶安三年  ... 山氏春正謹跋"--Second postscript.
- - Originally in 37 v.?; including vol. 26: 雲隱 (text not existing), and 宇治卷 (1-10).
- - 1. きりつほ (一) -- 2. ははき木 (二) --  うつせみ --  夕かほ --  わか紫 (三) --  すゑつむ花 --  もみちの賀 (四) --  花の宴 (五) --  あふひ (六) --  さか木 (七) --  花ちるさと (八) --  すま (九) --  あかし (十) --  みおつくし (十一) --  よもきふ --  せき屋 --  えあはせ (十二) --  松かせ (十三) --  うす雲 (十四) --  あさかほ (十五) --  をとめ (十六) --  玉かつら (十七) --  はつね --  こてう --  ほたる --  とこ夏 --  かかり火 --  野わき --  みゆき --  藤はかま --  まきはしら --  むめか枝 (十八) --  藤のうら葉 (十九) --  わかな (上) (二十) -- わかな (下) --  かしは木 (二十一) --  よこふえ (二十二) --  すすむし --  夕きり (二十三) --  みのり (二十四) --  まほろし (二十五) --  匂草いの宮 (二十七) --  こうはい --  竹かは --  はし姬 (宇治卷一) --  しゐかもと (宇治卷二) --  あけまき (宇治卷三) --  さわらひ (宇治卷四) --  やとり木 (宇治卷五) --  あつま屋 (宇治卷六) --  うき舟 (宇治卷七) --  かけろふ (宇治卷八) --  てならひ (宇治卷九) --  夢のうき橋 (宇治卷十).
- - Kokubungaku Kenkyū Shiryōkan ... "Genji monogatari" to sono zengo: item 7 (源氏物語 (慶安本・承応 3年版); 54冊; 洛陽八尾勘兵衛刊; 慶安 3年  山本春正跋; 全 226図の版下 possibly by 山本春正; commonly called 絵入源氏).
- - Kokusho sōmokuroku, v. 3, p. 122 (源氏物語 Genji monogatari; 54冊; variants: 源語, 光源氏物語; auth. 紫式部; 承応 3  版 (慶安 3  版の再版).
- - Tokugawa jidai shuppansha shuppanbutsu shūran (under 八尾勘兵ェ: 源氏物語; 60冊; 山本春正編; 承応 3).
- 54 v. : ill. ; 27 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- PL788.4 .G4 1654 vol. 1-54
Library of Congress Control Number
- Creative Commons Public Doman Mark 1.0 No Copyrights https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/ External
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Murasaki Shikibu, 978?, Shunshō Yamamoto, and Japanese Rare Book Collection. Genji Monogatari. [Rakuyō Kyoto: Yao Kanbē kaihan, Jōō 3, 1654] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2004551302/.
APA citation style:
Murasaki Shikibu, 9., Yamamoto, S. & Japanese Rare Book Collection. (1654) Genji Monogatari. [Rakuyō Kyoto: Yao Kanbē kaihan, Jōō 3] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2004551302/.
MLA citation style:
Murasaki Shikibu, 978?, Shunshō Yamamoto, and Japanese Rare Book Collection. Genji Monogatari. [Rakuyō Kyoto: Yao Kanbē kaihan, Jōō 3, 1654] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2004551302/>.