Map Afghanistan : a map
About this Item
- Afghanistan : a map
- "This map, published in New York in 1879, appears to have been made to inform American audiences about the war then underway in Afghanistan. The conflict, which became known as the Second Anglo-Afghan War, began in November 1878, when Great Britain invaded Afghanistan from British India in order to check what it perceived as the growth of Russian influence in the country. The map was compiled, drawn, and published by Captains Jackson and Wyndham, who are identified only as "Late, H.B.M. Service," meaning recently in the service of Her Britannic Majesty, i.e., Queen Victoria. The map shows the mountainous terrain of Afghanistan, cities and towns, rivers, roads, and parts of the British-Indian railroad network extending into present-day Pakistan. In the upper right are listed the commanding officers of the British forces formed to prosecute the war, which the map designates as the Mitankote Force, Khyber Column, Quetta Force, Kurram Valley Force, and the Reserve Force, all under the overall command of General Sir Frederick Haines. The Second Anglo-Afghan War lasted until September 1880 and resulted in heavy casualties on both the British and Afghan sides." World Digital Library.
- Jackson, P., Captain.
- Wyndham, W.
Created / Published
- New York : Jackson & Wyndham, 1879.
- - Afghanistan--Maps
- - Afghanistan
- - Accompanied by: War map of Afghanistan / compiled and published by Capts. Jackson and Wyndham. New York : Jackson & Wyndham, 1878. 10 p.
- - Relief shown by form lines.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as a raster image.
- 1 map ; 49 x 54 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- G7630 1879 .J3
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Jackson, P., Captain, and W Wyndham. Afghanistan: A Map. New York: Jackson & Wyndham, 1879. Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2004629229/.
APA citation style:
Jackson, P. & Wyndham, W. (1879) Afghanistan: A Map. New York: Jackson & Wyndham. [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2004629229/.
MLA citation style:
Jackson, P., Captain, and W Wyndham. Afghanistan: A Map. New York: Jackson & Wyndham, 1879. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2004629229/>.