About this Item
- Souvenir booklets of Washington, D.C., and environs
- Collection contains about 50 souvenir booklets and loose images from booklets showing scenes and buildings around the Washington, DC area in the 19th and 20th century.
- Contributor Names
- Glaser, Louis, publisher
- Jarvis, J. F. (John F.), 1850-, publisher
- Philip Frey & Co., publisher
- Created / Published
- [ca. 1873-ca. 1953]
- Subject Headings
- - Washington (D.C.)--1870-1960
- Photomechanical prints--1870-1960.
- Photomechanical prints--1870-1960
- - Arrangement: Arrangement: LOT 12043-1: General Views; LOT 12043-2: Catholic University; LOT 12043-3: Government Printing Office Mutual Relief Association; LOT 12043-4: Inauguration of President McKinley; LOT 12043-5: Library of Congress; LOT 12043-6: Mount Vernon; LOT 12043-7: U.S. Soldiers' Home; LOT 12043-8: Trinity College; LOT 12043-9: White House; LOT 12043-10: Loose pictures from souvenir viewbooks.
- - Publishers: American Security and Trust, Avil Publishing, J. W. Carnahan, Catholic University, E. Fitzki, Ph. Frey, W. B. Garrison, Louis Glaser, U.S. Government Printing Office, I. K. Hunter, Inter-State Medicine; J. F. Jarvis, T. G. McCrory, J. W. McKitrick, W. H. Morrison, L. H. Nelson, Sudwarth Printing, J. S. Topham, H. E. Wilkins Printing, and Wittemann Bros. (Albertype Co., printer).
- - Some are in very poor condition.
- - LOT title devised by Library staff; other information from catalog card and published guide: Washingtoniana Photographs ... Library of Congress, 1989.
- - Copyright deposit and other sources unknown.
- - Finding aid is available online https://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/eadpnp.pp020006
- whole collection ca. 50 items.
- ca. 50 viewbooks and photomechanical prints ; 23 x 31 cm. or smaller.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- LOT 12043 (F) [P&P]
- Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA https://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Rights Advisory
- Rights status of individual items not evaluated. For general information see "Copyright and Other Restrictions ..." https://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/res.195.copr
- Access Advisory
- Collection is open for research.
- Online Format
- whole collection ca. 50 items. | ca. 50 viewbooks and photomechanical prints ; 23 x 31 cm. or smaller. | Collection contains about 50 souvenir booklets and loose images from booklets showing scenes and buildings around the Washington, DC area in the 19th and 20th century.
- Original Format
- photo, print, drawing
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
The Library of Congress generally does not own rights to material in its collections and, therefore, cannot grant or deny permission to publish or otherwise distribute the material. For information about assessing rights, see the Rights and Restrictions Information page.
- Rights Advisory: Rights status of individual items not evaluated. For general information see "Copyright and Other Restrictions ..." https://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/res.195.copr
- Reproduction Number: ---
- Call Number: LOT 12043 (F) [P&P]
- Access Advisory: Collection is open for research.
If an image is displaying, you can download it yourself. (Some images display only as thumbnails outside the Library of Congress because of rights considerations, but you have access to larger size images on site.)
Alternatively, you can purchase copies of various types through Library of Congress Duplication Services.
- If a digital image is displaying: The qualities of the digital image partially depend on whether it was made from the original or an intermediate such as a copy negative or transparency. If the Reproduction Number field above includes a reproduction number that starts with LC-DIG..., then there is a digital image that was made directly from the original and is of sufficient resolution for most publication purposes.
If there is information listed in the Reproduction Number field above:
You can use the reproduction number to purchase a copy from Duplication Services. It will be
made from the source listed in the parentheses after the number.
If only black-and-white ("b&w") sources are listed and you desire a copy showing color or tint (assuming the original has any), you can generally purchase a quality copy of the original in color by citing the Call Number listed above and including the catalog record ("About This Item") with your request.
- If there is no information listed in the Reproduction Number field above: You can generally purchase a quality copy through Duplication Services. Cite the Call Number listed above and include the catalog record ("About This Item") with your request.
Price lists, contact information, and order forms are available on the Duplication Services Web site.
Access to Originals
Please use the following steps to determine whether you need to fill out a call slip in the Prints and Photographs Reading Room to view the original item(s). In some cases, a surrogate (substitute image) is available, often in the form of a digital image, a copy print, or microfilm.
Is the item digitized? (A thumbnail (small) image will be visible on the left.)
Yes, the item is digitized.
Please use the digital image in preference to requesting the original. All images can be
viewed at a large size when you are in any reading room at the Library of Congress. In some
cases, only thumbnail (small) images are available when you are outside the Library of
Congress because the item is rights restricted or has not been evaluated for rights
As a preservation measure, we generally do not serve an original item when a digital image is available. If you have a compelling reason to see the original, consult with a reference librarian. (Sometimes, the original is simply too fragile to serve. For example, glass and film photographic negatives are particularly subject to damage. They are also easier to see online where they are presented as positive images.)
- No, the item is not digitized. Please go to #2.
- Yes, the item is digitized. Please use the digital image in preference to requesting the original. All images can be viewed at a large size when you are in any reading room at the Library of Congress. In some cases, only thumbnail (small) images are available when you are outside the Library of Congress because the item is rights restricted or has not been evaluated for rights restrictions.
Do the Access Advisory or Call Number fields above indicate that a non-digital surrogate exists, such as microfilm or copy prints?
- Yes, another surrogate exists. Reference staff can direct you to this surrogate.
- No, another surrogate does not exist. Please go to #3.
- If you do not see a thumbnail image or a reference to another surrogate, please fill out a call slip in the Prints and Photographs Reading Room. In many cases, the originals can be served in a few minutes. Other materials require appointments for later the same day or in the future. Reference staff can advise you in both how to fill out a call slip and when the item can be served.
To contact Reference staff in the Prints and Photographs Reading Room, please use our Ask A Librarian service or call the reading room between 8:30 and 5:00 at 202-707-6394, and Press 3.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Glaser, Louis, Publisher, J. F Jarvis, and Publisher Philip Frey & Co. Souvenir booklets of Washington, D.C., and environs. Washington D.C, None. [ca. 1873-ca. 1953] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2004668785/.
APA citation style:
Glaser, L., Jarvis, J. F. & Philip Frey & Co, P. Souvenir booklets of Washington, D.C., and environs. Washington D.C, None. [ca. 1873-ca. 1953] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2004668785/.
MLA citation style:
Glaser, Louis, Publisher, J. F Jarvis, and Publisher Philip Frey & Co. Souvenir booklets of Washington, D.C., and environs. [ca. 1873-ca. 1953] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2004668785/>.
More Collections like this
CollectionGlaser/Frey collection of American viewbooks ca. 300 items.
- Contributor: Jarvis, J. F. (John F.) - Glaser, Louis - Philip Frey & Co.
- Date: 1873
CollectionWarsaw, Poland, 1947-1949(?) ca. 80 photomechanical prints. | Viewbooks with common title Warszawa. Palaces, monuments, gardens, parks, the zoo; streets at night, modern buildings, subway tunnel, bridges, etc.
- Date: 1947
CollectionSouvenir viewbooks of European cities and other scenic areas 18 albums (ca. 450 images) ; 23 x 16 cm. or smaller. | Miscellaneous collection of souvenir albums for North Wales, Dover, Chester, Loch Lomond and London in Great Britain and Rhein...
- Date: 1870
CollectionSwiss federal railways viewbooks 6 albums ; 19 x 25 cm. or smaller. | 1 calendar ; 25 x 15 cm. | Souvenir viewbooks show scenic views of Switzerland: famous mountains; lakes; cities, marvels of railway...
- Contributor: Schweizerische Bundesbahnen
- Date: 1929
CollectionCollection of travel books of photographs of Norway, 1910(?) 6 items (ca. 250 half-tone photomechanical prints : col. and b&w) ; 36 x 27 cm. or smaller. | Souvenir viewbooks showing scenic views of Norway. Includes many snow scenes; skiing resorts;...
- Date: 1910