Map [Portolan atlas of the Mediterranean Sea, western Europe, and the northwest coast of Africa].
About this Item
- [Portolan atlas of the Mediterranean Sea, western Europe, and the northwest coast of Africa].
- Contributor Names
- Oliva, Joan, active 1580-1615.
- Created / Published
- [ca. 1590]
- [1. Eastern Mediterranean] -- [2. Central Mediterranean] -- [3. Western Europe and the British Isles] -- [4. Northwest Africa] -- [5. World map drawn on an oval projection].
- Subject Headings
- - Mediterranean Region--Maps--Early works to 1800
- - Earth
- Manuscript maps
- Portolan charts
- Early maps
- World atlases
- - Title supplied by cataloger.
- - Attributed to Joan Oliva by John Wolter in A portolan atlas of the Mediterranean Sea and western European waters, with a world map, 1987.
- - Pen-and-ink and watercolor on vellum. World map painted on paper affixed to vellum.
- - Six blank paper pages precede and follow the 10 vellum pages of maps. Circular watermarks on pp.  and .
- - Bound in contemporary tooled and gilded vellum covers.
- - Accompanied by 4 pieces of a Latin manuscript on vellum removed from the spine during conservation.
- - LC Nautical charts on vellum, 8.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- 1 ms. atlas ( p.) : col. ill., col. maps, vellum ; 29 cm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- G1059 .O4 1590
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
- IIIF Presentation Manifest
- Manifest (JSON/LD)
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Oliva, Joan, Active. Portolan atlas of the Mediterranean Sea, western Europe, and the northwest coast of Africa.  Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2005634035/.
APA citation style:
Oliva, J. (1590) Portolan atlas of the Mediterranean Sea, western Europe, and the northwest coast of Africa. [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2005634035/.
MLA citation style:
Oliva, Joan, Active. Portolan atlas of the Mediterranean Sea, western Europe, and the northwest coast of Africa.  Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2005634035/>.
More Maps like this
Map[Portolan atlas of 9 charts and a world map, etc.].
Portolan atlas containing 10 maps Pen-and-ink and watercolor, on vellum. Each double-page illumination is 21 x 29 cm. Compass rose on inside back cover. Dedicated to Hieronymus Ruffault, Abbot of St. Vaast. Title provided by cataloger. "Maps...
- Contributor: Agnese, Battista
- Date: 1544
Map[Portolan atlas of the Mediterranean Sea and western Europe]. Title supplied by cataloger. Pen-and-ink, watercolor, and gilding on vellum. Half of charts 1 and 5 are attached respectively to the inside of the front and back boards. The other halves of...
- Contributor: Brémond, Jean André
- Date: 1670
Map[Chart of the Mediterranean, Black Sea, and the coasts of western Europe and northwest Africa] Title provided by cataloguer. Catalan and Latin. Catalan titles for the illustrations and Latin statement of responsibility. Oriented with north to the right. Contains 5 wind roses. Pen-and-ink and goauche. Includes 2...
- Contributor: Prunes, Mateus
- Date: 1559
Map[Chart of the Mediterranean, the coast of Portugal, and the northwest coast of Africa] Title devised by cataloguer. Oriented with north to the right. Contains 16 wind roses. Creator could be Giovanni Battista Cavallini, his son Pietro, or the Cavallini workshop. Pen-and-ink and goauche. Includes 3...
- Contributor: Cavallini, Giovanni Battista
- Date: 1678
Map[Portolan chart of the Mediterranean Sea and western part of the Black Sea] ; [Portolan chart ...
Portolan chart of the Aegean Sea and part of the Mediterranean Sea including Crete | Mediterranean Sea charts 1640 Shows names of harbors along the coastlines of the Mediterranean Sea, Black Sea, and adjoining waters. Relief shown pictorially on the Mediterranean Sea chart. Statement of attribution from the Aegean Sea chart....
- Contributor: Cavallini, Giovanni Battista
- Date: 1640