Maps Civil War maps
About this Item
- Civil War maps
- Other Title
- Civil War maps collection
- Civil War Maps brings together materials from three premier collections: the Library of Congress Geography and Map Division, the Virginia Historical Society, and the Library of Virginia. Among the reconnaissance, sketch, and theater-of-war maps are the detailed battle maps made by Major Jedediah Hotchkiss for Generals Lee and Jackson, General Sherman's Southern military campaigns, and maps taken from diaries, scrapbooks, and manuscripts, all available for the first time in one place. Most of the items presented here are documented in Civil War Maps: An Annotated List of Maps and Atlases in the Library of Congress, compiled by Richard W. Stephenson in 1989. New selections from 2,240 maps and 76 atlases held by the Library may be added monthly.
- Created / Published
- Washington DC : Geography and Map Division, Library of Congress, [1999?]-
- Subject Headings
- - United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - Atlantic Coast (U.S.)--History--19th century--Maps
- - Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- - Title from Web page (viewed on May 1, 2006).
- - Offered as part of the American Memory online resource compiled by the National Digital Library Program of the Library of Congress.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- LCCN Permalink
- Library of Congress Online Catalog
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Civil War maps. [Washington DC: Geography and Map Division, Library of Congress, ?, 1999] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://lccn.loc.gov/2006577703. (Accessed September 26, 2016.)
APA citation style:
(1999) Civil War maps. [Washington DC: Geography and Map Division, Library of Congress, ?] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://lccn.loc.gov/2006577703.
MLA citation style:
Civil War maps. [Washington DC: Geography and Map Division, Library of Congress, ?, 1999] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://lccn.loc.gov/2006577703>.