Maps Maps of Liberia, 1830-1870 American Colonization Society collection / American Colonization Society collection / Liberia maps
About this Item
- Maps of Liberia, 1830-1870 American Colonization Society collection /
- Other Title
- American Colonization Society collection
- Liberia maps
- This collection of Liberia maps includes twenty examples from the American Colonization Society (ACS), organized in 1817 to resettle free black Americans in West Africa. These maps show early settlements in Liberia, indigenous political subdivisions, and some of the building lots that were assigned to settlers. This on-line presentation also includes other nineteenth-century maps of Liberia: a map prepared for a book first published in the 1820's by ACS agent Jehudi Ashmun, a map showing the areas in Liberia that were ceded to the society by indigenous chiefs, and a detailed map dated 1869 by a man thought to be the black American explorer Benjamin Anderson.
- Created / Published
- Washington, DC : Library of Congress, 
- Subject Headings
- - Liberia--Maps
- - Liberia--History
- - Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- - Title from Web page (viewed on May 2, 2006).
- - Offered as part of the American Memory online resource compiled by the National Digital Library Program of the Library of Congress.
- - Text (HTML) and digital images.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Maps of Liberia, 1830 to 1870 American Colonization Society collection. [Washington, DC: Library of Congress, 1998] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://lccn.loc.gov/2006577708. (Accessed January 23, 2017.)
APA citation style:
(1998) Maps of Liberia, 1830 to 1870 American Colonization Society collection. [Washington, DC: Library of Congress] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://lccn.loc.gov/2006577708.
MLA citation style:
Maps of Liberia, 1830 to 1870 American Colonization Society collection. [Washington, DC: Library of Congress, 1998] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://lccn.loc.gov/2006577708>.