Maps [Heezen-Tharp collection].
About this Item
- [Heezen-Tharp collection].
- Contributor Names
- Heezen, Bruce C.
- Tharp, Marie.
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Ocean bottom--Maps
- - Ocean bottom--Maps, Manuscript
- - Submarine topography--Maps
- - Submarine topography--Maps, Manuscript
- - Oceanography--Charts, diagrams, etc
- - Manuscript maps
- - Earth
- Bathymetric maps
- - Consists of a wide variety of materials relating to an effort to map ocean floors carried out by the Lamont-Doherty Earth Science Observatory of Columbia University. This work was accomplished by geologist Bruce C. Heezen and oceanographer/cartographer Marie Tharp. The materials included maps, preliminary drawings, earth science data, precision depth recordings, scientific and technical reports, papers, correspondence, cruise logbooks, printing masters, reproducibles, and globes.
- - Register in Geography and Map Division Reading Room.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- ca. 23,200 pieces (chiefly maps) : some ms., some photocopies, some plastic, some col. ; 138 x 214 cm. or smaller.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- G3201.C2 coll .H4
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Library of Congress Online Catalog
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Heezen, Bruce C, and Marie Tharp. [Heezen-Tharp collection]. [?-1995?, 1957] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2006629258/. (Accessed December 05, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Heezen, B. C. & Tharp, M. (1957) [Heezen-Tharp collection]. [?-1995?] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2006629258/.
MLA citation style:
Heezen, Bruce C, and Marie Tharp. [Heezen-Tharp collection]. [?-1995?, 1957] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/2006629258/>.