Film, Video The golden beetle
About this Item
- The golden beetle
- Other Title
- Scarabée d'or
- Golden scarab
- Special effects reel.
- A magician catches a bug, which he throws into a brazier he has conjured up. From the brazier emerges a woman with shimmering wings. The brazier disappears and is replaced by a water fountain. The winged woman disappears. The magician crawls around on the floor as the water turns into fireworks, and then into a spinning wheel of fire. The magician leaps and twirls, and the woman reappears in the spinning wheel. When the fireworks end, two handmaidens appear and, as the woman chases the magician, they bring the brazier back. They fling the magician into it, and it bursts into flame. Her handmaidens stand to the side as the winged woman hovers above the smoking brazier.
- Contributor Names
- Chomón, Segundo de, 1871-1929, direction, camera.
- Pathé frères (France)
- Pathé Frères (U.S.)
- Niver (Kemp) Collection (Library of Congress)
- Created / Published
- United States : Pathé Frères, 1907.
- Subject Headings
- - Magic tricks--Drama
- Trick films
- Short films
- Silent films
- Fiction films
- - Originally released in France by Pathé frères in 1907.
- - End title lacking.
- - Part of summary from AFI STAR database record.
- - Pathé no. 1571.
- - MAVIS 761; The golden beetle.
- - On one film reel/videocassette with five other films. Preceded by La poule phénomène, A touching pleading, [Story of Christ], Liliputian dance, and The enchanted glasses.
- - Digital files viewed.
- - Sources used: AFI STAR database record no. 7683; Catalogue Pathé des années 1896 à 1914, 1907 à 1909, p. 7.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Received: 3-3-1997; viewing print; gift; Niver (Kemp) Collection.
- - Received: 1-24-2007 from VidiPax; master; preservation; Niver (Kemp) Collection.
- 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 2 min., ca. 70 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm. viewing print.
- 1 videocassette of 1 (Betacam SP) (ca. 2 min.) : si., b&w ; 1/2 in. master.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- FBC 7678 (viewing print)
- VRA 1876 (master)
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Library of Congress Online Catalog
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Pathé Frères, U.S Pathé Frères, and Niver. The Golden Beetle. United States: Pathé Frères, 1907. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2006640667/. (Accessed October 27, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Pathé Frères, Pathé Frères, U. S. & Niver. (1907) The Golden Beetle. United States: Pathé Frères. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2006640667/.
MLA citation style:
Pathé Frères, U.S Pathé Frères, and Niver. The Golden Beetle. United States: Pathé Frères, 1907. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/2006640667/>.